Rubbish Rice. Higher Price

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Rubbish Rice. Higher Price

Post by jennyjj01 »

Just an observation. Much of my rice stash is value brand long grain rice from the big 3 at 45p per bag. I use it, and it's perfectly good.

But times change. None of the big 3 local supermarkets have ANY of this 45p stuff. Their basic product seems to be 'Easy cook' rice at over £1.10 per kilo, or non-value brand at >£1 /kg

https://groceries.morrisons.com/browse/ ... ice-102621

The only place I can find it at 45p / kg is LIDL, and it looks awful. Lots of tiny or broken grains: It's clearly very low grade.

I reckon if you haven't topped up your economy rice stash for a while, the window of opportunity is closing....
Or just buy the dear stuff :)

Similar with value brand pasta, They just don't seem to be getting it in. Spaces on the shelves, so need to buy the better stuff, at > twice the price.

Darned food price inflation through the back door.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Re: Rubbish Rice. Higher Price

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:41 pm Just an observation. Much of my rice stash is value brand long grain rice from the big 3 at 45p per bag. I use it, and it's perfectly good.

But times change. None of the big 3 local supermarkets have ANY of this 45p stuff. Their basic product seems to be 'Easy cook' rice at over £1.10 per kilo, or non-value brand at >£1 /kg

https://groceries.morrisons.com/browse/ ... ice-102621

The only place I can find it at 45p / kg is LIDL, and it looks awful. Lots of tiny or broken grains: It's clearly very low grade.

I reckon if you haven't topped up your economy rice stash for a while, the window of opportunity is closing....
Or just buy the dear stuff :)

Similar with value brand pasta, They just don't seem to be getting it in. Spaces on the shelves, so need to buy the better stuff, at > twice the price.

Darned food price inflation through the back door.
We are still getting it at Tesco,if that helps.Their pasta too.As you say though,the window of opportunity may be closing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

Out of necessity, I do online shopping with Morrisons; very little of their own brand stuff appears online. I tend to buy middle price range rice and pasta for the stores. I do find that the more expensive real made in Italy pasta, tastes much better.
I've just bought a 10kg sack of Indian rice online, £6.50, looks fine. I do keep some easy cook/boil in bag rice in stock too.
I've found for me that the trick is to scout about and do some research if you have the time and inclination.
If you have access to Asian grocers, they are wonderful I believe for price, quality and bulk buying - but they're very few and far between in my wee wild woolly corner of Scotland :roll: :roll: :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

lowlander wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:57 pm Out of necessity, I do online shopping with Morrisons; very little of their own brand stuff appears online. I tend to buy middle price range rice and pasta for the stores. I do find that the more expensive real made in Italy pasta, tastes much better.
I've just bought a 10kg sack of Indian rice online, £6.50, looks fine. I do keep some easy cook/boil in bag rice in stock too.
I've found for me that the trick is to scout about and do some research if you have the time and inclination.
If you have access to Asian grocers, they are wonderful I believe for price, quality and bulk buying - but they're very few and far between in my wee wild woolly corner of Scotland :roll: :roll: :lol:
Though I did start my food prepping with some cheapest of the cheap, I too tend to pay a little more for better quality.
For Pasta, I buy the cheapest one that lists 100% Durum wheat*
There are plenty of Asian supermarkets nearby and they do a big range of sacks of rice of different types, but I don't like decanting from sacks, so only have one in stock. Lidl do some great durum pasta and basmati rice at good prices. The last case load of LIDL rice that I bought were vacuum packed rectangular bricks, perfect for stashing. The only place I ever saw vac packed rice.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

lowlander

Post by lowlander »

When starting out and with a family soon after, it was the cheapy ones for me too - perfectly acceptable. Nearest Lidl to me now is 130 mile round trip - probably 3 days by bus :roll: :lol: I'll look out for the vacuum pack rice if/when I get to one, so thanks for that.
It's good to keep your wits about you as a prepper, you never know what's going to turn up and where and when.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

lowlander wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 pm I'll look out for the vacuum pack rice if/when I get to one, so thanks for that.
It's more popular than I thought. Just haven't seen it in any other supermarkets.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vacuum+packed ... &ia=images