LRF Fishing

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
FabulousFinn

LRF Fishing

Post by FabulousFinn »

It's crazy how many fish you can catch lrf fishing. The great thing about it is you can mostly use the same settup in the sea, lakes, rivers and canal.

You use lightweight gear using mostly artificials that can be used over and over again .

Look up some videos of lrf fishing on YouTube.

I've sea fished all my life. Only just started lrf fishing and catching crazy amounts of fish (which could be used for food or bait on big rods).

I wholeheartedly believe it's invaluable skill. Minimal gear, everything reusable, light weight minimal gear and uses artificials (no need to source bait).

It's skill based. Once get good I'm positive you could use the gear consistently catch wherever you find yourself in the world.
jansman

Re: LRF Fishing

Post by jansman »

To those members here who don’t fish,this is Light Rock Fishing. Coastal sea fishing. The ‘light’ bit means lightweight gear : Light lines ,smaller hooks etc. than are traditional in shore fishing.Fabulous Finn is correct in saying that this gear can be used in different environments.I myself have ,this year, delved into the world of light lure fishing on rivers - and rather successfully too! It is a learnt skill though.Don’t think you can buy the kit and tuck it away until SHTF!

From a prepping angle ( forgive the pun :D ), be it inland or coastal,this is an easily learnt skill,with very minimal kit ,ideally suited to general foraging. The whole ‘technique- crossover’ spills over into something now known as ‘Urban’ or ‘Street’ fishing. Inner city dwellers use the type of tackle described to fish around docks and canals in the urban environment.

https://light.rockfishing.co.uk/

https://youtu.be/jwXnX2xqomY

https://youtu.be/eKJ4vE46eSM

Also,remember that if you fish inland ,you need an environment agency rod license,and permissions from landowners.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Total noob at fishing. I know in the UK fishing is split into game and course. I believe coarse is where you fish for sport and let the fish go. In a survival situation, would you just fish for anything? What's the best style for noobs who might not want to practice unless it's survival? I have some line, hooks, a few weights and floats, and a hobo reel. Should I have lures?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:54 pm Total noob at fishing. I know in the UK fishing is split into game and course. I believe coarse is where you fish for sport and let the fish go. In a survival situation, would you just fish for anything? What's the best style for noobs who might not want to practice unless it's survival? I have some line, hooks, a few weights and floats, and a hobo reel. Should I have lures?
I coarse fish. Game is too expensive for my blood. You are correct that ( generally speaking) it is the practice to catch and release. Technically,it is not illegal to take freshwater fish to eat,but it as most coarse fishing is owned by someone,their rules apply,and most of the time there is a ‘no removal of fish’ rule.

In a survival situation I would ( personally) concentrate on pike and perch ,the latter particularly. In my area both fish are plentiful. Regarding tackle ,those fish are easily caught with lures.Perch will also readily take nice big earthworms-I have caught many fine fish that way!

Regarding YOUR fishing tackle: Environment Agency rules state that fishing should be done using rod and line,the rod to be not less than than five feet long. A hobo reel,or handline is illegal. I am not personally aware of prosecution for fishing with this equipment,but I will say that Environment Agency Fishery Bailiffs are not to be messed with. Which leads me to the next matter; You must have an Environment Agency Rod Licence - failure to do so,and not having one upon inspection ALWAYS leads to prosecution.When they are on a licence - dodger campaign they are also accompanied by police officers. It is a very regulated sport.

Incidentally,from midnight tonight ,the UK river fishing season ends ,and reopens on the 16th of June. This too ,is enforced rigourously.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A few years ago our local waters had real problems with carp going missing, turns out that Eastern Europeans* (who have a tradition of eating carp and other coarse fish) were taking them home.
Cultural Differences.

*Mostly migrant land-workers rather then immigrants
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
British Red

Post by British Red »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:35 pm Cultural Differences.

Lots of them round here of course. Their views on catch and release are really interesting ( that it's basically fish tormenting for fun). As you say, Cultural Differences
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:35 pm A few years ago our local waters had real problems with carp going missing, turns out that Eastern Europeans* (who have a tradition of eating carp and other coarse fish) were taking them home.
Cultural Differences.

It’s been a massive problem here,and most of the river stretches have signs in all the Eastern European languages saying,basically, “ taking fish ain’t on!” They don’t just take some,they keep coming back and take the lot. My good friend and fishing buddy was invited to Hungary for a weeks fishing by one of his customers.They fished some picturesque places.They caught nothing. The reason,said his host,in most places they have been eaten!

UK anglers are true guardians of the waterways,conservationists if you like, as pollution issues etc. are almost always reported by anglers wishing to protect their precious sport. I adore it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:39 pm In a survival situation I would ( personally) concentrate on pike and perch ,the latter particularly.

Regarding YOUR fishing tackle: Environment Agency rules state that fishing should be done using rod and line,the rod to be not less than than five feet long. A hobo reel,or handline is illegal.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate a hobo reel is not legal, it's only for a survival situation. I will get some lures, for Perch. Pike look a bit scary!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:28 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:39 pm In a survival situation I would ( personally) concentrate on pike and perch ,the latter particularly.

Regarding YOUR fishing tackle: Environment Agency rules state that fishing should be done using rod and line,the rod to be not less than than five feet long. A hobo reel,or handline is illegal.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate a hobo reel is not legal, it's only for a survival situation. I will get some lures, for Perch. Pike look a bit scary!
I forgot to say,you will need a landing net,as fish welfare is paramount.

Robert Frost.

Me.