TooGoodToGo

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: TooGoodToGo

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:12 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:50 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:06 pm Herself got into the habit of doing the supermarket shop at Ungodly o'clock, as a result we ended up with quite a few yellow labels (not that we've ever been shy of buying them).

"Suitable for home freezing" gets frozen.
Anything that doesn't say "Unsuitable for home freezing" gets frozen
Large packs of meat get turned into small packs of meat, and then frozen
Some things get cooked and then frozen
Anything else gets eaten nowish

You might of noticed a theme to the above, this is why we have more freezers then people here :oops:
"Anything that doesn't say "Unsuitable for home freezing" gets frozen"
I laughed at that. :lol:
I didn't realise, but some of these salad leaves could be frozen.

I only have the 4 freezers and I begrudge filling them with bread.
One of my loaves of bread got dehydrated and turned into a big jar of breadcrumbs. Bless the dehydrator!

I do the big asda order tomorrow and will not have to bother putting bread and bread rolls on it.

I have decided that next week, I'm going for it, big time. I intend to really try surviving a whole week on 3 of these £3.09 bags. I will permit myself to add modest store cupboard flavourings and beverages, but in exchange for that privilege, I'll expect to 'trade' some of the contents back to the OH or to the stockpile.

I will be scouting the shop in the daytime to try to get a preview of what I'll get, and that will determine the start day to my week.

Updates and photos to follow.
Salad bags ! Try this! https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2020/01 ... to-recipe/
Yay Jenny!
Prepared to put their GI tract on the line..... For Science !! ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:12 pm Salad bags ! Try this! https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2020/01 ... to-recipe/
When I made my first attempt smoothie with two of the bags, it was so thick that I had to eat (some of) it with a spoon. I recall thinking that with just a bit of oil, nuts and parmesan that it was almost already a decent pesto. I didn't take that further as it was already watered down, but I can see the potential.
If you recall from one of my other threads, I've got a late crop of chard and beetroot soon to be harvested. I'm not familiar with using chard or using beetroot leaves, but pesto is way up there on my list of ideas for using it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:12 pm Salad bags ! Try this! https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2020/01 ... to-recipe/
Well, I had a couple of minutes and a couple of bags left from the TGTG bag.
So, add a blob of olive oil, a bit of grated cheddar, some garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice and.....

Hey Presto
Hey Pesto
Not Bad at all.
IMG_20210818_184014 (1).jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Mentioned this to the other half yesterday. Seems she already knew about it and has the app on her phone but hasn't used it yet as there were few places nearby operating the scheme. Now as these things go we've just heard the small coop just a few hundred yards from us is going to do it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Home made pesto! Bliss!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:27 pm Mentioned this to the other half yesterday. Seems she already knew about it and has the app on her phone but hasn't used it yet as there were few places nearby operating the scheme. Now as these things go we've just heard the small coop just a few hundred yards from us is going to do it.
That's the ideal scenario, much like me and my local spar.
I've figured that I can pretty much scout the shop up to about 2pm to see what's already yellow stickered, or is likely to be that day. I could even use the app to reserve a bag there and then. I now need to get a measure of how the offerings differ by day.

From the ones I've had so far, I can see this working well. Target day for the TGTG challenge* is looking like Monday

*To try to survive a week on 3 or 4 TGTG bags

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:46 pm *To try to survive a week on 3 or 4 TGTG bags
I was all set to start today. I scouted the shop at 3pm and saw that they had some burgers, tomatoes, carrots, bread and gateux already reduced 50% so I place my reservation order.

But, just got the email
"The store has cancelled your order " "SPAR - .... didn't have enough surplus food available and therefore had to cancel your order."

Pity really. I'm hungry.
BUT... Tonight's tea is still sorted: I have a frozen portion of Minced Beef Burger and Onion from a recent magic bag.

I'm going to have a word with the shop staff tomorrow. No Way they had sold all that yellow sticker stuff I saw at 3pm. I reckon they make up the bags only where they deem it worth the effort. No problem with that. They are a business with limited staff, after all.
I might be super cheeky and cut a deal taking TGTG out of the loop :D

Maybe tomorrow.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:48 pm Ok. Better late than never. One planter fully built and installed.
Amazon Prime has done it's magic in getting some swiss chard, Beetroot and spring onion seeds delivered today. Rocket tomorrow.
jennyjj01_Last Sunday wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:30 pmThere was meat :) A tray of 4 quarter pound burgers.
It's the little things that make me smile.
I'd sowed my Chard on 18 July and just 5 weeks later I harvested one portion! It's grown like crazy!!!! What i harvested hardly made a dent in what's there. Seed to plate in 5 weeks!
So. Wilted home grown chard ( A first for me ) served with defrosted minced up burger from last Sundays TGTG bag and a 50p Packet of Mash And I'm full.
I'm self sufficient in Chard :) :D

Have another TGTG bag reserved for 7pm. Was able to get my order in AT 5pm!!!! Watch this space.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:46 pmTarget day for the TGTG challenge* is looking like Monday

Right. We're off!

Just collected my TGTG magic bag. One of the better ones!

Tray of 6 Chicken Thighs. Probably best cooked soon.
Bag of 6 Hot Dog rolls
Bag cherry tomatoes
Bag washed Lettuce leaves
pack 6 pancakes
Chicken and Leek Pie serves 2
small Jelly. Discarded because it looked spoiled.

Will that feed me two days? Hell yeah! Might need just a dab of butter or oil
IMG_20210822_192752.jpg

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:12 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:46 pmTarget day for the TGTG challenge* is looking like Monday

Right. We're off!

Just collected my TGTG magic bag. One of the better ones!

Tray of 6 Chicken Thighs. Probably best cooked soon.
Bag of 6 Hot Dog rolls
Bag cherry tomatoes
Bag washed Lettuce leaves
pack 6 pancakes
Chicken and Leek Pie serves 2
small Jelly. Discarded because it looked spoiled.

Will that feed me two days? Hell yeah! Might need just a dab of butter or oil
IMG_20210822_192752.jpg
Pukka Pie! They are banging! A lifetime ago ,I was a beef butcher for them. It’s a good product.
That looks a good bag.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.