Winter vegetables

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Moorland Prepper

Winter vegetables

Post by Moorland Prepper »

We have all out troughs and containers full of summer vegetables and, even though it's summer (or should be!), I'm looking to winter vegetables. I didn't realize that some of these have to be planted in summer or earlier.

I assume that it will be around September that we start to see the finish of our summer vegetables and just wondered what I could be looking to plant then? I've just ordered a dozen vegetable grow bags (10 gallon) so will have some spare growing capacity now. I plan on growing potatoes for Xmas and will start these around August. I'd also like to try turnips.

We are over 700 feet up in the moorlands, so it can get a little cold here. We have a sheltered spot where the worst of the winds don't reach.

I'm new to all this, this being the first time I've grown anything I'm going to eat, so any advice of what we could plant will be appreciated.

Thanks
jansman

Re: Winter vegetables

Post by jansman »

You are too late for leeks, unless you can get to a nursery for some. July / August the time to sow for most stuff. Turnips you mentioned. I grow a Winter radish, China Rose. Kale. Spring cabbage. Oriental greens ( they may need cover). Lambs lettuce, Spring cabbage, spinach beet,beetroot- now- for baby beets to store. Radicchio, Winter lettuce ( under cover), broad beans ( The Sutton, or Robin Hood- low growing, but may need cover).Carrots, I grow Amsterdam Forcing ( baby carrots),Japanese onions and garlic. Some of these crops will overwinter to give you a head start on Spring though.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Thanks jansman

I've found out a bit more. I don't think that we will sow any seeds as this would create an 'overlap' between our summer and winter seasons.

I've found an interesting site that sorts out veg. into seasons:

https://propagationplace.co.uk/buy-vege ... ts-online/

We shall grow potatoes and Mrs M has picked out the following:

Turnips (goldarna)
Spinach perpetual
Broccoli
Kale (dwaft green)

We have a greenhouse but can't use this as Mrs M uses it for her bonsia collection - some can't be left out over winter
jansman

Post by jansman »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:30 am Thanks jansman

I've found out a bit more. I don't think that we will sow any seeds as this would create an 'overlap' between our summer and winter seasons.

I've found an interesting site that sorts out veg. into seasons:

https://propagationplace.co.uk/buy-vege ... ts-online/

We shall grow potatoes and Mrs M has picked out the following:

Turnips (goldarna)
Spinach perpetual
Broccoli
Kale (dwaft green)

We have a greenhouse but can't use this as Mrs M uses it for her bonsia collection - some can't be left out over winter
That’s a useful link,thank you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.