Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
shocker

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by shocker »

An outline understanding of the photoperiods, the amount of light and dark, that different plants need during vegetative growth and fruiting can be helpful.

Also, the different NPK of feed at these times. Some plants can be as far apart as 15, 15, 30 then 30, 15, 15 in their needs for these phases.

While not absolutely necessary, attention to these factors can have surprising results in gains.

The biggest problem many find these days is with parasite infestation. So many insecticides are no longer available. I have gone back to pre petrochemical days and use copper sulphate for some fungals and grow tobacco as an insecticide. And other uses.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Sowing Season: "Are we there yet!"
I'm absolutely itching to get something growing. Anything edible SOON.

I see that some sites say sow some seeds indoors from Jan,[Proof read that in a hurry :) ] but ...
The Man On The Internet wrote: "Try Not To Sow Too Early!
It is very easy to be tempted to start too early – I get the urge myself to sow in February rather than March but the results will always be better when sowing in March. The best time for sowing, I think, is the last two weeks of March."
I can't kick my heels for two more months!
So, I sowed some onion seeds in a tray on my kitchen window. Surely that's not too soon? I'm even tempted to try to force some carrots in a tub, in spite of everything I said about cost effectiveness.

I'm using the plastic tub my Flash Speedmop refills came in. Seems ideal with its transparent lid. Too good to chuck away.

I made the mistake of sowing a few tomato seeds too, before I read the advice above :(
Ordering some microgreen seeds for the kitchen windowsill.

Signed up with RHS.org.uk, because they have handy calendar features and lots of good advice.

Mr J is under orders to have two more big planters made up and ready by February.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:14 pm Sowing Season: "Are we there yet!"

I see that some sites say sow some seeds indoors from Jan,[Proof read that in a hurry :) ] but ...
The Man On The Internet wrote: "Try Not To Sow Too Early!
It is very easy to be tempted to start too early – I get the urge myself to sow in February rather than March but the results will always be better when sowing in March. The best time for sowing, I think, is the last two weeks of March."
I can't kick my heels for two more months!
So, I sowed some onion seeds in a tray on my kitchen window. Surely that's not too soon? I'm even tempted to try to force some carrots in a tub, in spite of everything I said about cost effectiveness.

I'm using the plastic tub my Flash Speedmop refills came in. Seems ideal with its transparent lid. Too good to chuck away.

I made the mistake of sowing a few tomato seeds too, before I read the advice above :(
Ordering some microgreen seeds for the kitchen windowsill.

Signed up with RHS.org.uk, because they have handy calendar features and lots of good advice.

Mr J is under orders to have two more big planters made up and ready by February.
Your windowsill sowings *will* germinate.However, they will get ‘leggy’ if you don’t keep an eye on them. Your onion seed,once germinated ,will be hardy enough to put outside in daylight.Frost won’t hurt as such,but it’s still as well to fetch them in or put them in a cold frame or suchlike. Your upcycled containers do have drainage holes don’t they?

I have everything ready to go,but I will still wait until the middle of February at the earliest. Embrace the rhythm of the seasons ,be patient. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jenny: Your "Man on the Internet" is unlikely to be at the same latitude or altitude as you, or for that matter most of us.

My Norfolk garden is going to have a different growing season to Ravenseat Farm.

Take advice by all means...... But sooner or later we all have to fly solo.
This is you learning how to grow in your place, make your mistakes now when the pressure isn't on.

Mind you, Jansman has been doing this stuff a lot longer then I have. So maybe listen to him more then me ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:51 pm Jenny: Your "Man on the Internet" is unlikely to be at the same latitude or altitude as you, or for that matter most of us.

My Norfolk garden is going to have a different growing season to Ravenseat Farm.

Take advice by all means...... But sooner or later we all have to fly solo.
This is you learning how to grow in your place, make your mistakes now when the pressure isn't on.

Mind you, Jansman has been doing this stuff a lot longer then I have. So maybe listen to him more then me ;)
Learn to grow in your own place…good advice.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:29 pm Your windowsill sowings *will* germinate.However, they will get ‘leggy’ if you don’t keep an eye on them. Your onion seed,once germinated ,will be hardy enough to put outside in daylight.Frost won’t hurt as such,but it’s still as well to fetch them in or put them in a cold frame or suchlike. Your upcycled containers do have drainage holes don’t they?

I have everything ready to go,but I will still wait until the middle of February at the earliest. Embrace the rhythm of the seasons ,be patient. :D
Thanks. Yes. I popped some holes in it. Probably a bit shallow compared to proper seed trays. It annoyed me how nice a chunk of plastic packaging this was to just sling, so I had to re-use them.
I read about the seedlings being weak and leggy. I'll plant the seedlings deep and compare them to some I sow later. All part of the learning curve. I almost always sow way too late and just didn't want to this time.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:51 pm Jenny: Your "Man on the Internet" is unlikely to be at the same latitude or altitude as you, or for that matter most of us.
I cottoned on to that, while researching in December. My search engine DuckDuckGo often gives me US posts at the top of search results. I'd noticed it with recipes and with gardening tips. So now, I make a point of using Google and specifying UK and watch out for .co.uk sites. ;)

Sowing so soon means I will HAVE to care for my babies for much longer. God help 'em. But it might help with my self discipline training.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Sowing so soon means I will HAVE to care for my babies for much longer. God help 'em. But it might help with my self discipline training.
:lol:

I might have to take a leaf out of your book there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:29 pm

Your windowsill sowings *will* germinate.However, they will get ‘leggy’ if you don’t keep an eye on them. Your onion seed,once germinated ,will be hardy enough to put outside in daylight.

Embrace the rhythm of the seasons ,be patient. :D
Super impatient, I figured that I can recognise onion vs tomato seedlings, so I sowed a few dozen more onion seeds in amongst the tomatoes. LOL. Let the beggars fight it out!
I'm determined to use every inch of compost and every inch of windowsill to the max.

Patient! I don't do patient.

Checking out my trugs from last years sowing, it seems I left a few onions leeks and garlic bulbs in and they have somehow prospered. Looks like I have at least a couple of decent leeks. Surprise bonus. Never did harvest any, I thought they had died.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:18 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:29 pm

Your windowsill sowings *will* germinate.However, they will get ‘leggy’ if you don’t keep an eye on them. Your onion seed,once germinated ,will be hardy enough to put outside in daylight.

Embrace the rhythm of the seasons ,be patient. :D
Super impatient, I figured that I can recognise onion vs tomato seedlings, so I sowed a few dozen more onion seeds in amongst the tomatoes. LOL. Let the beggars fight it out!
I'm determined to use every inch of compost and every inch of windowsill to the max.

Checking out my trugs from last years sowing, it seems I left a few onions leeks and garlic bulbs in and they have somehow prospered. Looks like I have at least a couple of decent leeks. Surprise bonus. Never did harvest any, I thought they had died.
I admire your enthusiasm.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:18 pm Super impatient, I figured that I can recognise onion vs tomato seedlings, so I sowed a few dozen more onion seeds in amongst the tomatoes. LOL. Let the beggars fight it out!

I admire your enthusiasm.
LOL. Like a naughty child :)
When I tried growing flowers I always bought childrens mixture and sunflower seed. Short lived, but with joyous and quick gratification.
I still get deep joy seeing the first glimmer of green from a sprouting seed. Just need to learn some discipline. Old dog: New trick. :lol: