Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itsybitsy

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by itsybitsy »

Bloody hell - just wandered off to locate my seed stash so I knew what I needed to order for 2021. NO SEED STASH. Literally. I have no idea where they should be or where they are. :o

Just ordered four packets from Real Seeds, which I was going to get regardless, but I'm blowed if I know where the stuff I bought this year and didn't use has gone.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:11 pm In my relatively limited experience of container gardening, beans and courgettes pretty much grow themselves. I had a bumper crop of dwarf yellow beans last year, AND they were quite happy to sit on the vine until I needed them - some of them were there well over a month and didn't suffer at all. I also grew A LOT of tomatoes - all fared relatively well even though I planted them too late. Oddly, though ,the expensive variety (Big Pink) were the only ones that got rot end blossom (I think that's what it's called) - I need to be a bit more consistent with watering. :lol:
jansman wrote: Do you have a greenhouse? Is it heated? If not,forget aubergines.Even tomatoes.Celery is a bitch too,and has less calories than you put in.Garlic yes,get it in pots to plant out later.Do that NOW,or your crop will be useless. Leeks yes.Perpetual spinach yes. Courgettes if you like them.Parsnips yes.Mushrooms- if you want to waste time and money.

If you don’t eat spuds ,beans and carrots,then don’t grow them,even though they are amongst the best candidates for containers.
Having (re-)started my research, it looks like sowing will really start in feb, so we have a little time to get more containers ready and to order some seeds.
I already have my blight resistant Crimson Crush tomato seeds ( Not to be confused with Crimson Crush marijuana :D ) and I've lots of onion, beetroot and chard seeds.
I read that courgettes are dead easy, so they are definitely in my plans.
Spring onions look a good option for continual sowing and harvesting.
Seems that aubergines, leeks and celery (and rhubarb) are going to be too much trouble.
Loving the idea of some window sill salads, so they are in.

I don't have a greenhouse as such, but have one of those clear plastic 4 Tier Portable Mini Green Houses. I do eat spuds, carrots etc, but want my crops to be something like value for money. I'm ruling out mushrooms, in case they bugger up the lawns. I planted some garlic really late this year and they seem to be prospering, so maybe I got a head start.

I'm itching to get out there and will probably sow too soon :)
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Our garlic has been in about a month and is now about 6 inches tall. Remember that garlic needs frost to split it into cloves so can stay out all winter without any issues. We do well with peppers and chillies, the peppers need a greenhouse but we have grown chillies outside in the past. Tomatoes don't need a greenhouse either and we usually grow the little cherry type ones, but after last year I wouldn't bother growing them from seed as I tended to them lovingly and they then got blight. Rhubarb is great, chuck a bit of muck on and leave it to do its thing. We usually grow leeks but last year the seeds were white onions which grew better than the onion sets. Raspberries are great in containers and we had a harvest lasting from July until November as we had summer and autumn fruiting ones. I can grow cabbages but they wouldn't win any prizes, carrots turn out wonky but taste delicious. Spuds in bags grow well and are much tastier than shop bought ones. I love herbs too but we always seem to end up with one type taking over the herb garden, but it is so nice to pick your own. Beetroot were a success and I had my first experience of pickling which was fun. I cannot for love nor money grow cauliflowers so will not be bothering with them this year. Cut and come again salad leaves are great. As someone else mentioned do not bother with mushrooms, they either grow or they don't and it is much easier just to buy them. I think that you really do need a mushroom farm to get enough for a decent harvest. We have an issue with root maggot which are apparently more problematic in containers and so have to use nematodes twice a year to keep them at bay, they love strawberries, carrots and broccoli and are nasty beasties. Also maybe consider growing a few marigolds if you are growing tomatoes and dont forget a few wildflowers for the bees. Good luck for this year's harvest!
Growing old disgracefully!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm Our garlic has been in about a month and is now about 6 inches tall.
Looks like I accidentally got that right.
Medusa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pmTomatoes... after last year I wouldn't bother growing them from seed as I tended to them lovingly and they then got blight.
Blight was everywhere this year. Try Crimson Crush blight resitant.
Medusa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm Beetroot were a success and I had my first experience of pickling which was fun.
Mine were a huge success. Took a bit of space to grow. Self sufficient now :)
Medusa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pmAlso maybe consider growing a few marigolds if you are growing tomatoes and dont forget a few wildflowers for the bees.
Great tip. Thanks. Even i can grow marigiolds :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

The old adage of ‘ grow what you eat’ certainly applies.This year I will be growing spuds,greens,beans ( dried mainly), some salads, our Winter Spaghetti Marrows ,perpetual onions and the perennials too- rhubarb,plums,apples,pears, raspberries,strawberries,Jerusalem artichokes etc. I’ll do a few tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse,but I won’t go mad.I used to grow outdoor tomatoes,but the blight always gets them,so I won’t waste energy.Keeping it simple and as calorie- dense as possible to help towards the recession we have coming.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:11 pm Seems that aubergines, leeks and celery (and rhubarb) are going to be too much trouble.
Wait, what? Rhubarb is too much trouble? I'm confused - I mean, like any young plant, it needs to be watered in during the first year. And if it's tempted to flower, you remove the flower head. But I literally can't think of anything else? Unless your soil isn't right for it (did you say you had sandy soil? That might be it). Easiest crop ever, for me, on my very heavy clay soil.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:29 pm Wait, what? Rhubarb is too much trouble? I'm confused ... Easiest crop ever, for me, on my very heavy clay soil.
Well, I read that it will be the second year before I could harvest any and I don't want to tie up container space for something I seldom eat. I want instant gratification :) My soil, other than what is in the planters, is sandy rubbish* and not much of it and it does look like Rhubarb demands a bit of space. In a pot it would demand more attention than I could give it.

I acknowledge that if I had much more space, it could be a doddle. Maybe one day we will get an allotment, but for now I lack the commitment.

*Reading about rhubarb does remind me that I should try to get some good 'muck' for my planters. Can't rely on my stupid, failing, composting efforts which I'm losing patience with.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:06 pm This year I will be growing spuds,greens,beans ( dried mainly).....

...some salads, our Winter Spaghetti Marrows ,perpetual onions and the perennials too- rhubarb,plums,apples,pears, raspberries,strawberries,Jerusalem artichokes etc. I’ll do a few tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse,but I won’t go mad.
Beans (Dried mainly)?
Daft question... Do you mean you will be drying your beans that you grow? I still don't understand how pulses like kidney beans that we buy from the shop can be so dry, but still be able to sprout. Obviously not blanched before drying, yet they are like pebbles and last ages.

Won't go mad?! I envy your commitment. All that fruit! You are a serious gardener and I'm in awe. Do you have a big garden or an allotment?
Gardening is still just a fad with me, so I need to see quick success to keep me with it. Still very much baby steps,
I'm the archetypal prepper with a random seed store and not a clue. What do they say? all the gear and no idea? I needed to start learning this a few decades ago.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:31 am
Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:29 pm Wait, what? Rhubarb is too much trouble? I'm confused ... Easiest crop ever, for me, on my very heavy clay soil.
Well, I read that it will be the second year before I could harvest any and I don't want to tie up container space for something I seldom eat. I want instant gratification :) My soil, other than what is in the planters, is sandy rubbish* and not much of it and it does look like Rhubarb demands a bit of space. In a pot it would demand more attention than I could give it.
Oh I see! Completely agree - rhubarb would be a nightmare in a pot.

I remember the sandy soils of NW England, difficult in so many ways.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:45 am
jansman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:06 pm This year I will be growing spuds,greens,beans ( dried mainly).....

...some salads, our Winter Spaghetti Marrows ,perpetual onions and the perennials too- rhubarb,plums,apples,pears, raspberries,strawberries,Jerusalem artichokes etc. I’ll do a few tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse,but I won’t go mad.
Beans (Dried mainly)?
Daft question... Do you mean you will be drying your beans that you grow? I still don't understand how pulses like kidney beans that we buy from the shop can be so dry, but still be able to sprout. Obviously not blanched before drying, yet they are like pebbles and last ages.

Won't go mad?! I envy your commitment. All that fruit! You are a serious gardener and I'm in awe. Do you have a big garden or an allotment?
Gardening is still just a fad with me, so I need to see quick success to keep me with it. Still very much baby steps,
I'm the archetypal prepper with a random seed store and not a clue. What do they say? all the gear and no idea? I needed to start learning this a few decades ago.
Yes,I grow beans for drying.Runners ( they go well in a Spanish style bean ,garlic and tomato dish we like),Borlotti beans and climbing French - Blue Lake.They yield a little black bean,and are prolific. They are all climbers - vertical space is the way to go- and we eat them fresh when we want them,and then just let them go.The pods go dry and brown,and when they are like paper ,we pick them,pop out the beans,and air dry them for another week before popping them into glass jars.Just to be sure ,these days, we pop a moisture absorption pack in there too. All seeds will hold a percentage of water ,even though they seem bone dry.They have to,as like all living things ,they need water.

To be fair,my garden is huge.However,this last three years I have reduced and ‘age proofed it’ :lol: So now I have a small poly tunnel 8’x6’ two cold frames 5 raised beds and containers.All on weed suppression fabric and bark chips.The salads are grown in 12” pots ,new potatoes too. Carrots I grow in ten litre sausage seasoning buckets :lol: They work really well.The climbing beans I grow in cut- off 50 gallon plastic drums. Sorry about the mix of metric and imperial measures :lol: I can get 8 canes in each barrel,and it targets water and compost very well.

As for learning gardening,indeed anything,it’s never too late. Get those seeds in the soil,get your hands mucky ,and enjoy it. Seeds and plants WANT to grow ,despite our intervention! This time next year,you will have another gardening season under your belt,ready to start another. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.