Painted stones

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Painted stones

Post by grenfell »

Every so often something pops up on facebook that makes me think "can that really work?" This time it was painted stones. To be more accurate it was small pebbles painted to look like strawberries. Quite pretty but it was said to be functional as well. It was claimed that if the stones are placed next to the plants before the fruit itself is ripe birds will peck at them and find that the tempting red fruit isn't edible and by the time the real fruit ripens will have learnt not to try to eat them. It sounded a good story but it can't really work can it? It'd be nice if it fooled the slugs.
ForgeCorvus

Re: Painted stones

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I suppose we'd need to do a proper trial.
Who's growing strawberries this year?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'd do it myself as i have strawberries but firstly most of them are in a cage and besides i don't really have that much trouble with birds eating them. And secondly it just seems a tad ludicrous although even if it didn't work i'd have a lot of pretty stones afterwards.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

The advantage of the red painted stones is that they are easier to find after you've thrown them at the birds :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Catweazle wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:45 am The advantage of the red painted stones is that they are easier to find after you've thrown them at the birds :D
Ah..... Like this?

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:57 pm
Catweazle wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:45 am The advantage of the red painted stones is that they are easier to find after you've thrown them at the birds :D
Ah..... Like this?

I like this version...
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

😂😂