Olio

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jerseyspud

Olio

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi sorry me again

But if you batch cook, can your own food or dehydrate and store can I suggest you get the olio app

I'm an olio volunteer here in jersey and we collect food that is on its best before and sometimes use by and distribute it through the app and its all free! Just thought as today I collected a huge crate of veg that's on its best before but would be great to store in one way or another
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Cocotte

Re: Olio

Post by Cocotte »

How does that work?
Is it discounted or free?
Is it from other users or do companies such as supermarkets use it too?
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hiya

It's completely free. Volunteers collect from supermarkets (I know tesco in the UK use olio) and then list it on the app and its free to collect from the volunteers.

Today for example I have my kids weight in bread (about 40 loaves) and a crate of peppers, potato's, lemons, brocoli, bananas and New potato's
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very interesting! Not something I'd do right now, I'm not going into shops etc, but as things get a bit more balanced, I'll give it a go, thanks jerseyspud.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I have Olio but it has yet to take off around me. There is very little posted and no uptake when I have added things. Hopefully in time it will kick in here. I still check it every day.
hobo

Post by hobo »

It's just taking off round here, as is The Real Junk Food Project https://trjfp.com which provide short dated (and some out of date!) foods. I chair a community fridge, so it's all go!
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

We cna post stuff past it's best before (which what we usual get from wholesalers here) but not past its use by. Its great if you don't mind adding stuff past its best before to your stocks

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

What a great idea
Thanks for sharing.

😊
Fill er up jacko...