Fishing

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jerseyspud

Fishing

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi all

So living on a small island I was thinking today about protein etc with prepping. So fresh protein. In a shtf situation in theory I could go fishing but it would be a fairly long walk for my small ones to get there.

With that in mind is this a worthwhile hobby to take up now, or strike it as the walk to get there would take a few hours with small children and could be dangerous
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
pseudonym

Re: Fishing

Post by pseudonym »

Think crab/lobster pots, they can be checked/rebaited every other day and will catch fish as well.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Fishing is my passion!!! When you know how to catch fish ,it is a simple skill. But it has to be learnt,like gardening.Fishing is very local.You need to know the local methods,baits etc. Get down to the beach and ask! Anglers are a friendly bunch,and will help.Your local tackle shop will too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

And in a place like yours, think of other prepper-type assets that the beach holds ... seaweed for the garden soil, small shells to be crushed ditto. And take a look at River Cottage book no 5, "Edible Seashore".

As far as the children are concerned, it depends how old they'd be if something really bad happened - I know we all think of "shtf" but it's still not the likeliest thing. It's a good skill, it will be good to bond during the learning of it, creating good memories for them, and it will help you provide food *now*.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Mmnn thank you. I hadn't thought about what else the beach could hold for us. I'll definitely look into it! Thank you :)
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:50 pm So living on a small island I was thinking today about protein etc with prepping. So fresh protein. In a shtf situation in theory I could go fishing but it would be a fairly long walk for my small ones to get there.

With that in mind is this a worthwhile hobby to take up now, or strike it as the walk to get there would take a few hours with small children and could be dangerous
Being a bit contrarian. No. Unless you prefer the protein you could catch or forage (and compete for) to what you can buy, today, in cans.
You could buy a lot of assorted canned fish and meat, and dried soya, for the price of suitable fishing tackle.
In a total, long term SHTF, maybe, but in that case, trading for protein would be my approach. Or get some chickens.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:24 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:50 pm So living on a small island I was thinking today about protein etc with prepping. So fresh protein. In a shtf situation in theory I could go fishing but it would be a fairly long walk for my small ones to get there.

Being a bit contrarian. No. Unless you prefer the protein you could catch or forage (and compete for) to what you can buy, today, in cans.
You could buy a lot of assorted canned fish and meat, and dried soya, for the price of suitable fishing tackle.
In a total, long term SHTF, maybe, but in that case, trading for protein would be my approach. Or get some chickens.
That is true jennyjj01.You can buy a lot of tins for the price of tackle,but once you have the kit and more importantly, the skill,then you are in a sustainable position. Also, you don’t actually need a lot of gear to succeed at catching fish. When I am on the river for example,I have a rod and reel,landing net ,bait or lures and terminal tackle in my pockets.That’s it. That kind of set up can be had relatively cheaply new,and there’s a lot of second hand gear out there too.

I am a proponent of Ragnar Benson ( the old school American survivalist) and his ‘Rule of Threes’, which advocates 3 separate ways of doing anything,each independent of each other. In the case of food, my survival’triangle’ is 1. Stored foods 2. Own produced foods ( garden and garden livestock) 3. Fished , shot and foraged foods.

For us here,all three corners of that triangle are solid and reliable. Now, tomorrow I am fishing. Because we have had 48 hours higher temperatures,I know I will catch well. Where I am going ,I fully expect to catch in the region of 30 pounds of fish ( the species caught will mean in the region of 100+ fish). If today was The End Of Civilisation, then that would be a productive trip. There is always small game and firewood to be had too.

So I would say to Jerseyspud, that if you really want to learn to fish,then go for it!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pm I am a proponent of Ragnar Benson ( the old school American survivalist) and his ‘Rule of Threes’
Good rule. I just don't see myself fishing. Maybe I'd try to hunt rabbits, geese, wood pigeon before I'd try fish. I hate shellfish, too.
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pmSo I would say to Jerseyspud, that if you really want to learn to fish,then go for it!
'Really wanting' to is a great reason to do it, in its own right. Different strokes for different folk.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pm I am a proponent of Ragnar Benson ( the old school American survivalist) and his ‘Rule of Threes’
Good rule. I just don't see myself fishing. Maybe I'd try to hunt rabbits, geese, wood pigeon before I'd try fish. I hate shellfish, too.
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pmSo I would say to Jerseyspud, that if you really want to learn to fish,then go for it!
'Really wanting' to is a great reason to do it, in its own right. Different strokes for different folk.
As Jansman says, the time to learn is now...... Besides the kids won't be small forever, one day you might be teaching them
My point of view is while we do stuff for Preps, it doesn't mean that we can Only do stuff for Preps.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm
Benson highlighted the Nez Perce Indians who adopted the rule of threes. They were one of the few Native American tribes that didn’t routinely starve each Winter.They had skills and foresight.Even before the Lewis -Clarke expedition reached them,they had rifles.They were superb horsemen ,and reared and trained their unique Appaloosa warhorses,which they traded for all sorts-including guns and cash.The point?

Storage is great,but skills ,knowledge,and a unique economic edge to deal with the inevitable scarcity of goods are far,far more valuable than relying on * just * storage.

Robert Frost.

Me.