Fishing

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Fishing

Post by jansman »

I fished today in the company of a bunch of good lads. It was interesting that we were all improvising baits. The current Lockdown allows us to GO fishing ( socially distanced of course), but most tackle shops are shut.That means modern baits ( unless you get mail order at horrendous prices) are pretty much off- limits.This would be high protein pellets and ground baits etc.Live baits like maggots and casters are pretty much non- existent right now. This topic was the subject of lakeside banter for a while!

Then one chap - out of the blue- said,” imagine if we had to fish to eat?”.That sparked another conversation.We all caught well on ‘old school’ baits like bread,worms and tinned sweetcorn. I carry a LOT of tinned corn for fishing ( we rarely eat it) and it worked well today. It reinforced my confidence that I could catch fish SHTF. The angling community relies heavily on modern baits( and they work!), but Lockdown has taught us to adapt. It’s done me a favour,as I have explored new ,productive methods.

Just my meandering thoughts...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I mentioned this thread in passing to Herself, she told me that her Ex used to breed his own maggots.
All you need is couple of warm days and a bit of liver in a box outside (she only objected to the bait-box being stored in her fridge...... Proves just how tolerant she is :) ).
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:49 pm I mentioned this thread in passing to Herself, she told me that her Ex used to breed his own maggots.
All you need is couple of warm days and a bit of liver in a box outside (she only objected to the bait-box being stored in her fridge...... Proves just how tolerant she is :) ).
Oh I’ve done that.Last year after the first lockdown,live bait was as rare as rocking horse s###. I reared maggots for a month until a regular supply was available.There are even videos on YouTube showing you how( rather good actually) . Bit different to the biscuit tin and sawdust I used as a teenager in the 70’s. My dad wasn’t chuffed at the stench in the shed. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.