Eat like a Peasant?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
hobo

Re: Eat like a Peasant?

Post by hobo »

"...things were always got on the tick. What with the Doctors to pay and the rent. That was three shillings and nine pence. I often heard my Mum telling the rent chap "Can you just take half this week?" Some families used to turn the gaslight off and tell their kids to be quiet till the rent chap had gone. Doctors had to be paid for at six pence a week. No NHS or benefits. Mum used to get milk on 'tick', empty the milk into a jug, rinse out the bottle and ask me to take it back to another shop to get a penny back on the bottle so that we could put the penny in the gas meter. Hard times and we were often, very often sat in the firelight...watching the shadows on the wall and the fire in the grate. My Mum would throw salt on the fire to make coloured flames for us... In the summertime the fire was always kept in. We burned all the rubbish and used the fire for cooking...The house was full of draughts. The door at the front led straight onto the street outside. The sacks that we put across the bottom of the door to stop the draught coming in often ended up outside the house because the step was so worn..."

Glad it's got me reading the book again. I'll post anything interesting. It's set in Blackburn from 1921 BTW.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks hobo!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very powerful, thank you, hobo!
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

BUMP.
Fill er up jacko...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Good idea to bump vitC, I think we can all do with reading this before winter hits.. :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:13 pm Good idea to bump vitC, I think we can all do with reading this before winter hits.. :evil:
I totally agree. We have hard times coming. Trouble is,our kids haven’t seen them- and me and mum tell them,and they treat us like idiots when we try to tell them what hard times are. I give up!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:52 pm I totally agree. We have hard times coming. Trouble is,our kids haven’t seen them- and me and mum tell them,and they treat us like idiots when we try to tell them what hard times are. I give up!
Back then, everybody was poor and probably always had been. There were no riots because Macdonalds was shut, because there was no Macdonalds. Now, kids and young adults feel so Entitled: They would/will surely riot when such poverty hits.

Rather than tell them.... Give them poor people food.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well they'll just have to riot. See how that one works. It wont produce food anyway :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:16 pm Well they'll just have to riot. See how that one works. It wont produce food anyway :twisted:
Anyone who lived through 70’s inflation , shortages , and had to live on strike pay, knows what tough is. My late dad bless him, was a shop steward, and they didn’t take the cr&p we have to now. Our family knew what tough was , but dad was true to his belief. Mind you, he could shoot, fish and was a better gardener than I will ever be! Wonder where I got that from?

Back on topic; we’ll have to eat what we can get or afford.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.