What do you value most?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Stonecarver

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Stonecarver »

Soap
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

As a tea drinker i was inclined to put that but there are decent alternatives such as rosebay willow herb that actually taste like tea. I 'm surprised chocolate hasn't come up yet but for my single product i'd say sugar. Not because I have a particularly sweet tooth , i don't have it in my tea for example ,but because it's so useful for brewing , preserving and cooking.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 am As a tea drinker i was inclined to put that but there are decent alternatives such as rosebay willow herb that actually taste like tea. I 'm surprised chocolate hasn't come up yet but for my single product i'd say sugar. Not because I have a particularly sweet tooth , i don't have it in my tea for example ,but because it's so useful for brewing , preserving and cooking.
Much too sensible, watch out you aren't disqualified :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

**wanders back in** rosebay willowherb, hey? Interesting ...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Phew! Problem solved.... I just need to wait 5 years or so :(
https://teagardensofscotland.co.uk/buy-tea-plants
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:47 am
grenfell wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 am As a tea drinker i was inclined to put that but there are decent alternatives such as rosebay willow herb that actually taste like tea. I 'm surprised chocolate hasn't come up yet but for my single product i'd say sugar. Not because I have a particularly sweet tooth , i don't have it in my tea for example ,but because it's so useful for brewing , preserving and cooking.
Much too sensible, watch out you aren't disqualified :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok , i'll stick with chocolate then :D
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have a potted tea plant in my garden bought a couple of years ago. The yield for me is about 5 pots of tea a year so I view this as a novelty not a practical prep. It might produce more if i could get it in soil but I am on chalk so none of the camellia family will grow for me outside pots.
Pretty flowers in late autumn though!
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Salt. For flavouring, preserving, medicinal etc.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 am
Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:47 am

Ok , i'll stick with chocolate then :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Actually, we should let you have two entries, chocolate and tea, partly because Lemne has just named salt as her indispensible, and partly because I'm having an afternoon off after a looong walk amongst the local sheep, and I'm feeling contrary :roll:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:55 pm We have just had a grocery delivery. Loading the shelves, it occurred to me what single item we would really not like to be without. Tea.

What about you? One product only. :D
For me it would be tinned tomatoes. If my entire rice stash disappeared, I'd have pasta, and vice versa. I can replace tea with coffee etc. Most shelf stores have easy substitutes.
But the humble tin of tomatoes is an ingredient of so many meals and sauces, adding flavour, colour, calories, texture. I wouldn't be without them. They'll be the last things I'll run out of.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:33 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:55 pm We have just had a grocery delivery. Loading the shelves, it occurred to me what single item we would really not like to be without. Tea.

What about you? One product only. :D
For me it would be tinned tomatoes. If my entire rice stash disappeared, I'd have pasta, and vice versa. I can replace tea with coffee etc. Most shelf stores have easy substitutes.
But the humble tin of tomatoes is an ingredient of so many meals and sauces, adding flavour, colour, calories, texture. I wouldn't be without them. They'll be the last things I'll run out of.
Yeah, I could go with that as second choice.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.