Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Catweazle

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Catweazle »

Fruit N Nut chocolate.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Given that we are probably a fairly representative sample and tea seems to be the main "must have" perhaps if anyone is laying aside extra preps for bartering, tea would be a wise choice.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

izzy_mack wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am Given that we are probably a fairly representative sample and tea seems to be the main "must have" perhaps if anyone is laying aside extra preps for bartering, tea would be a wise choice.
An interesting PAW/SF book I read (and keep rereading) had coffee as the go-to barter (almost a currency) item, one scene had someone opening a vac-sealed brick much to the shock of the rest of the party.

I was told that the Gov. had plans in the event of the Cold War going hot, to send the Home Fleet via Suez to ensure a supply.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Coffee!! Thankfully we have loads of tea and our daughter would vote for Cola. Hubby would vote for chocolate or crisps.
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:13 pm
izzy_mack wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am Given that we are probably a fairly representative sample and tea seems to be the main "must have" perhaps if anyone is laying aside extra preps for bartering, tea would be a wise choice.
An interesting PAW/SF book I read (and keep rereading) had coffee as the go-to barter (almost a currency) item, one scene had someone opening a vac-sealed brick much to the shock of the rest of the party.

I was told that the Gov. had plans in the event of the Cold War going hot, to send the Home Fleet via Suez to ensure a supply.
Here is a link to an excellent site.This deals with Cold War emergency feeding.I cannot find the link about the importance of tea in the British diet,but you are definitely correct about the government of the day realising that fact.

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/categories/civil-defence/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

My WW2 history book explained that tea was going to be rebranded to a "national brand" as was done for other rationed goods but there was such an outcry that they had to abandon the idea and let people continue to buy their favourite blend in order to maintain morale.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

According to my eldest its tea. She said if shtf we will sit and drink tea whilst everyone else panic buys or loots

I do love a nice cup of tea
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
bobble

Post by bobble »

The company of mr bobble. I reckon you can get by without some "stuff" but it would be quite hard to "thrive" without someone to chat to!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 am My WW2 history book explained that tea was going to be rebranded to a "national brand" as was done for other rationed goods but there was such an outcry that they had to abandon the idea and let people continue to buy their favourite blend in order to maintain morale.
I have seen a reference somewhere to Nazi High Command trying to nobble tea supplies to North Africa as they realised it was so crucial to British troops' morale. No idea how seriously this was taken but it is believeable.

I would have to choose between coffee and dark chocolate though, although if really pressed would choose coffee. I have about 7-8 kg of beans on hand at any one time. Must buy another grinder though.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We bulk buy our coffee and have an electric grinder and a vintage wall mounted SPONG cast iron coffee grinder. (Very like the old mincers but for coffee) It takes a while to grind enough for a brew but looks fantastic in the kitchen and will allow us to have a brew even if the power is out.