Seeds

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itsybitsy

Seeds

Post by itsybitsy »

Does anyone know of an alternative heirloom seed company in the UK than Real Seeds. I cannot place an order as they are closed until they catch up with their orders and I need to get an order in ASAP. HELP PREPPERS!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Seeds

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 pm Does anyone know of an alternative heirloom seed company in the UK than Real Seeds. I cannot place an order as they are closed until they catch up with their orders and I need to get an order in ASAP. HELP PREPPERS!
Try Wilkinson's if they've not sold out yet to stick Santa crap in the isle

Assuming your after veg seeds?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 pm Does anyone know of an alternative heirloom seed company in the UK than Real Seeds. I cannot place an order as they are closed until they catch up with their orders and I need to get an order in ASAP. HELP PREPPERS!
I have bought from them in the past.However,to me ' heirloom ' is Non F1. You can get seeds here ( a LOT cheaper too), my new ( ish) go-to.

https://www.premierseedsdirect.com
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

Usually use Real Seeds. I found this https://www.sowseeds.co.uk/collections/ ... ection-box
You’ve reminded me to see what I’ve left from last year. MUST start seed saving!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I can't offer any help on the seeds, but jansman, thanks for listing premier seeds direct - their description of American land cress is brilliant, exactly what a large percentage of my garden is like (shady with some moisture) ... I want to buy lots more now :oops: :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

It's not a bad idea to lay your seeds in now.I bought mine back in the Summer,along with sufficient compost.I normally save most of my own veg seeds,but last year when my wife was rather poorly,I totally lost interest in my garden.Fast forward to March this year,and I missed the boat for seeds and plants.Fortunately,I have two gardening neighbours,and between us all we cobbled together sufficient plants.It won't happen again!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm not surprised you lost interest! For myself, now that I'm within spitting distance of having the back fence repaired, the laurel has been cut down far enough that I can control it myself in future, and the front fence has been finished off, its worth planting things up properly. As many perennials as I can, to create the minimum of work, and maximum food and pleasure for me and for pollinators.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:46 pm I'm not surprised you lost interest! For myself, now that I'm within spitting distance of having the back fence repaired, the laurel has been cut down far enough that I can control it myself in future, and the front fence has been finished off, its worth planting things up properly. As many perennials as I can, to create the minimum of work, and maximum food and pleasure for me and for pollinators.
I'll go with minimum work! I can't believe I had two huge polytunnels and an acre of ground at one time! And the goats.Now it's small amounts of everything,grown in raised/ square foot beds.And like yourself,as many perennials as possible.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Great post itsy, I forgot the panic I had earlier this year when I couldn't get any seeds at all. I'll get onto this now. :shock: