Acorns, natures gift to preppers.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Rebelprepping

Acorns, natures gift to preppers.

Post by Rebelprepping »

The oak tree is must know among bushcrafters and foragers. Wether it's using the high strengh wood for construction, the fungi that grow on it, or its acorns, the oak tree is essential. I harves kilos of them every year and they have several uses, from medicinal to a substantial food source

To use as a medicine as a topical applicant for cuts or skin irritation, simply boil for a few minutes till the water turns brown. This will leach out tanic acid into the water and this mix can be used as a mouth wash and applied as a steriliser and astringent to wounds.

To eat there are several ways but i like to make acorn flour. This is a gluten free alternative to regular flour and is high in fat and protein as well as carbs as it is similar to nuts. However it has the advantage that most people who are allergic to nuts can eat acorns. However this tanic acid will also upset your stomach if you eat them raw so it is best to process them first to make flour for consumption.

To make flour i blend them in a food processor with equal parts water. This will make an orange, grainy liquid. I then pour this mess into a pillow case and squeeze into the sink, i then run under a tap and squeeze the case full of paste. I repeat until the water coming out is clear. This can take a few minutes. In about an hour you cans make a kilo of wet flour using this method. Sounds like a lot of effort but this will actually feed a couple of adults for a day. I then dry it out using a dehydrator and this can then be stored as flour. I like to mix it 50/50 with regular flour and an egg, then cook it in a buttered up skillet in the oven to make a tasty bread. Or you can bake it with water into a hard tac like biscuit.

Either way, acorns are a must fot every prepper/bushcrafter out there
jennyjj01

Re: Acorns, natures gift to preppers.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rebelprepping wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:30 pm The oak tree is must know among bushcrafters and foragers. ...

Either way, acorns are a must for every prepper/bushcrafter out there
Thanks. Very interesting. There is, what I believe is a big oak tree in a common area at the end of my street. I see that it sheds LOADS of what I think are acorns. So if this is true, it looks like there's many kilos of a potential free flour like product, just sitting there. Heck, they even fall to the ground ready for me (not too elegant as a tree climber)

Must investigate.

When's the best/right time to harvest them?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Acorns. .. ?

High protein.

Please inform

I belive high carb low if almost nill protein.

But yes acorns have been a staple in the past under used and free.
Good post
Thanks.

Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:03 am
Rebelprepping wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:30 pm The oak tree is must know among bushcrafters and foragers. ...

Thanks. Very interesting. There is, what I believe is a big oak tree in a common area at the end of my street. I see that it sheds LOADS of what I think are acorns. So if this is true, it looks like there's many kilos of a potential free flour like product, just sitting there. Heck, they even fall to the ground ready for me (not too elegant as a tree climber)

Must investigate.

Now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rebelprepping

Post by Rebelprepping »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:03 am

Must investigate.

When they are on the ground is fine, i wait until they fall not for any specific time. There are some good youtube tutorials on it if you want
Rebelprepping

Post by Rebelprepping »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:17 am Acorns. .. ?

High protein.

Please inform

I belive high carb low if almost nill protein.

But yes acorns have been a staple in the past under used and free.
Good post
Thanks.

Amount Per
100 grams
100 grams
Calories 501
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g 46%
Saturated fat 3.9 g 19%
Polyunsaturated fat 6 g
Monounsaturated fat 19 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 712 mg 20%
Total Carbohydrate 55 g 18%
Protein 7 g 14%

7g of protein is a decent amount, not as high as i thought but definitely better than nothing
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

7g is around the same as beans and legumes if I remember rightly acorn protein dose not have the full amino acids also like beans and legumes except the humble pea full amino acids profile. .

In the past many vegetarians and vegans were skinny looking and weak mainly because thay ate beans for protein but it's was not the same kind of protein as in meat and eggs so no growth but now with a greater understanding of nutrition veggies and vegans can gain muscle. .
So if as preppers we may have to eat lots of beans and legumes you must remember to add some full amino acids foods to get full muscle growth.
Thanks.
Fill er up jacko...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:38 pm 7g is around the same as beans and legumes if I remember rightly acorn protein dose not have the full amino acids also like beans and legumes except the humble pea full amino acids profile. .

In the past many vegetarians and vegans were skinny looking and weak mainly because thay ate beans for protein but it's was not the same kind of protein as in meat and eggs so no growth but now with a greater understanding of nutrition veggies and vegans can gain muscle. .
So if as preppers we may have to eat lots of beans and legumes you must remember to add some full amino acids foods to get full muscle growth.
Thanks.
Cereals tend to have those amino acids missing from legumes, and legumes tend to have those missing from cereals....... Who'd of thought that beans on toast is the perfect prepper meal :lol:

https://www.botanical-online.com/en/die ... aminoacids

*Off to fight the squirrels *
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good stuff :) thanks for this.

I started a thread earlier this year about acorns, taking a phot once a month, but I let it go - there were some really knowledgeable people on here already, and they also posted a load of links on there, so I felt okay about letting the experiment die for now. I was also obsessing about my fence :lol: