Storing pasta

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Lemne

Storing pasta

Post by Lemne »

I've put my dry pasta in brown paper bags and then vacuum sealed. I have checked today and a lot of them have failed seals as the pasta has poked through. This is penne and the twirls. How do you store yours?
GillyBee

Re: Storing pasta

Post by GillyBee »

I don't keep much pasta in stock myself these days as we have food intolerances so normal pasta and standard GF type are now off menu. I did have some oldish spaghetti from before that managed to get infested so would definitely want to take extra care if prepping for long term storage.
I am surprised the mylar got pierced. I thought it was tougher than that. Have you considered glass jars with an oxygen absorber or vacuum/food saver seal?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:38 pm I've put my dry pasta in brown paper bags and then vacuum sealed. I have checked today and a lot of them have failed seals as the pasta has poked through. This is penne and the twirls. How do you store yours?
Twirls are hellishly sharp and happily burst vac packs. To be honest, I trust in the original bag, since I believe they are packed in a nitrogen atmosphere. For big bags, I pop them in a big poly bag and throw in some silica gel. Not had any spoil yet, in 4 years. If you must vac seal, then lots of soft packing and double seal the bag, maybe double bag, but that's expensive.
That said, most of my pasta is lasagne sheet or ordinary spaghetti, for max packing density. All tastes the same when you'r starving
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

I just leave it in the original packaging, I've never had dried pasta go 'off' even when it's a number of years past it's best before date. I've currently got an opened packet off spaghetti in my cupboard thats 2 years beyond it's BBE date and hasn't been touched for the better part of a year but is, as far as I'm concerned, still perfectly usable, the key is to simply keep it dry.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am also a fan of leaving it in original packaging.Packed down into plastic storage boxes with earliest use by date on the lid.Easy to rotate,and like all foodstuffs,kept cool,dry and dark.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Came in to say this and I see everybody else has too. Just leave it as you got it from the shop.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Our vacuum sealer has a "soft" setting for overcoming this problem, but never trusted it as it doesn't seem to suck out enough air.

We dry store pasta in buckets, in the original packaging, with a few silica tabs thrown in for good measure as others have said. Save your vacuum bags for more expensive / valuable stuff IMO.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I bought in bulk so was breaking it down into smaller packets. I'm going to soft vac pack it and chuck in an o2 doo dah I think.