Shops selling off Covid surplus?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Shops selling off Covid surplus?

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:15 pm Its in date code.Your statutory rights have not been infringed.
Maybe so but I have Consumer Rights which mean I can return an item bought online within 14 days from the date of delivery without giving a reason but I have contacted them to give one. It's bad business and if they are looking for repeat orders its not going to happen with short dated stock like that. Lesson learned I will wait for the flour to come available at my usual mill.
Unless the food is out of code, damaged or contaminated, they won’t take it back. 5 months code life isn’t a short date. It’s not their fault you want to keep it to see you through Armageddon!

Because you bought it online, they * may* take it back,or refund you,( I doubt it though) but know this: That flour will now have to be destroyed upon return. The firm cannot risk contamination by a third party. It’s standard food safety practice. Wasted food.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here’s a link. It is now called Consumer Contracts Regulation. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... egulations

Your post also set me thinking about how long flour is expected to last.I know nothing of this particular food,as my personal expertise is with animal based foods.But I found this,( and several other sites that statedthe same).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-flour-go-bad

Going on that,I reckon 5 months code is good.Just sayin'...

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's handy to know re storing flour Jansman, ty. Mine is in the cool back bedroom in big tubs.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

If you buy something online with the exception of custom made items or for medical/sanitary exemptions then you can return the item within 14 days of delivery for a full refund without giving any reason whatsoever but you must pay the return postage. I politely emailed them yesterday and they have arranged for DPD to collect the second bag of flour tomorrow. I would have gladly paid the return postage but they have insisted they will pay because of the short date. I'll now wait for my usual supplier to come back in stock and order from them.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:27 am If you buy something online with the exception of custom made items or for medical/sanitary exemptions then you can return the item within 14 days of delivery for a full refund without giving any reason whatsoever but you must pay the return postage. I politely emailed them yesterday and they have arranged for DPD to collect the second bag of flour tomorrow. I would have gladly paid the return postage but they have insisted they will pay because of the short date. I'll now wait for my usual supplier to come back in stock and order from them.
You are lucky. Food is on that list too. It’s a shame they will have to destroy it. Such a waste. You will find that they are taking it back for reason of publicity. We had an incident on Saturday: customer buys product, it’s not enough for her dinner party and then slags us off on social media, even though she asked for that product at that amount. The boss contacted her, and she said she would bring it back for a refund. The boss said he would give her a voucher to the value,simply as a goodwill gesture and she would have to deal with what she had bought, “ as I don’t know the state of your kitchen, and I cannot risk any cross contamination “ he told her. She went ballistic when he said that.

When people have returned stuff it HAS to go in the bin, regardless. When I worked for Pukka Pies, customers would complain because they had ordered the wrong item, and the company would replace or refund, but under NO circumstances could that product come back onto the premises.

Like I said, you’ve been lucky.

Robert Frost.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm What was the expiry date for that flour? Currently lidl flour at April 21. Personally go for longer life over price
Yes this is April 21 but now its parcelled out and vac sealed, I recon that's extended it a couple of months. Course, the draw back to breaking down a large bag of flour into smaller brown paper bags and vac sealing it, is that apparently, according to my daughter I looked like a drug dealer 😂 My husband muttered something about Breaking Bad!
IMG-20200908-WA0000.jpg
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I just vac seal the 1.5kg bags I buy from lidl. My whole point for highlighting the date was that as preppers we should be be buying the longest dated stuff we can. Especially now with flour maybe about to become in short supply due to bad harvests caused by whatever recently. Recent demands for shops and others to reduce pizza sizes is just going to raise my flour usage for pizza at home
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

As preppers should we not be looking beond pre made flour. I buy and store wheat berries, which store indefinatly. They have made bread from wheat berries found in egyption tombs.

I have a vitamix which grinds flour, and I also have a hand cranked flour mill, very hard work...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That would be a very long term plan, and not everybody is able to do very hard work..
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jansman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:45 pm
Lemne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:27 am If you buy something online with the exception of custom made items or for medical/sanitary exemptions then you can return the item within 14 days of delivery for a full refund without giving any reason whatsoever but you must pay the return postage. I politely emailed them yesterday and they have arranged for DPD to collect the second bag of flour tomorrow. I would have gladly paid the return postage but they have insisted they will pay because of the short date. I'll now wait for my usual supplier to come back in stock and order from them.
You are lucky. Food is on that list too. It’s a shame they will have to destroy it. Such a waste. You will find that they are taking it back for reason of publicity. We had an incident on Saturday: customer buys product, it’s not enough for her dinner party and then slags us off on social media, even though she asked for that product at that amount. The boss contacted her, and she said she would bring it back for a refund. The boss said he would give her a voucher to the value,simply as a goodwill gesture and she would have to deal with what she had bought, “ as I don’t know the state of your kitchen, and I cannot risk any cross contamination “ he told her. She went ballistic when he said that.

When people have returned stuff it HAS to go in the bin, regardless. When I worked for Pukka Pies, customers would complain because they had ordered the wrong item, and the company would replace or refund, but under NO circumstances could that product come back onto the premises.

Like I said, you’ve been lucky.
Perishable food which has an expiry date before the return period is exempt. This does not fall under that.