Small containers for burying

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Turkey Doughnuts

Small containers for burying

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Given my current situation I have concluded burying supplies is my best option for protecting them. Which begs the question of the method to do so.

I have thought of buying some basic tubs such as this:
https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-56qt ... A-13771723

I would then bury it about 2-3 foot down.

Would the above be sufficient? Will moisture/damp be an issue?
grenfell

Re: Small containers for burying

Post by grenfell »

I feel that damp could be an issue but not one that can't be overcome although i have wondered about tree roots and the like. I've always thought a bigger problem is location. Fine if you own the land they are going to be buried in but if they are to be buried on someone else's land then considerations have to be taken for the container to be unearthed or built on or fenced off and access denied.
redskies

Post by redskies »

We buy baking soda in bulk, and it comes in buckets with very well fitting lids, which we then keep to store other things in. They seem to be pretty air & water tight, and you could deploy an inner lining as well as gaffa tape around the edge to double up on that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A cubic yard of soil weighs well over a ton, I don't think those plastic boxes would survive being buried an arms length down.

You might do better with something like this.

I've used the four or five gallon size for hauling rubble, storing plaster and such, so they are tough and water tight
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

A few years ago, I had rather a lot of cash I had to ‘put aside’ ahem! Couple of car sales, amongst other things, and the bank was asking too many questions about me depositing more cash than usual. I was earning a LOT of cash in hand, as my boss at that time was being less than truthful with you know who, and I was fine as my cash was tax free.

I vacuum packed it at work. Top tip here: vac pack seals can degrade over time. I also wrapped it in plastic , into the ( dry) plastic bucket, dropped in some silica gel, sealed the threads with silicon and put tape round too. Put that lot in a poly bag, and buried it 18” deep.

It sat there for 18 months. My eldest knew where it was, just in case. Then I hit tough times, and had five years of crap jobs. The cash had to come up! And it was damp. Regardless of the preparation before burying. We had to dry it out , spread out across two heated rooms. If we had been visited by Plod, heaven knows what conclusion they would have come to?

So, I would say, that burying stuff , even though it’s a Preppers Staple Project, ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:03 pm Given my current situation I have concluded burying supplies is my best option for protecting them. Which begs the question of the method to do so.
There is, or was a member HedgerowPete who was really into burying stuff. Maybe reach out to him by private message, or rummage through his posts like this one
http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/view ... 30#p183773
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Turkey Doughnuts

Ok thanks.

He seems inactive, but I will go through the old posts. Thanks for the pointer!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just a question but why do you feel that burying is the best option to protect your supplies? Would not storing inside the house be safer or if you don't have room above ground can be perfectly safe enough if it looks old and unattractive. For example i use 10 and 15 litre paint tubs for storage. Bit of paint on the outside and they look like a part used tub of paint , not what your average burglar is looking for. Outside you could put it in tubs and put the tubs inside one of those plastic compost bins , again not something most ner do wells are after. Just thinking of saving you a lot of work.
I have a couple of these and have found them to be fully waterproof at least above ground although i've not buried one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mortar-Hunti ... ect=mobile
Turkey Doughnuts

I live in a shared house so there is little room to store, my bedroom already looks like a warehouse. As it is rented I can not add any security enhancements either. Someone has already pilfered some of my belongings so I can not trust them to leave stuff alone. Living alone is something outside of my wage bracket.

It is not burglars I am thinking of but rioter's and other kinds of 'peaceful protesters' With the economy now under pressure and with the scientific evidence for a general decline in intelligence that has already begun to manifest in the decay of infrastructure and engineering performance I do not consider hiding in the house to be sufficient for protection. I also do not have the community network so I am on my own, and I can not do everything by myself including keeping an eye on what is mine.

I would also like to spread them out across several locations. I have some allotments that I could use. People are already stealing peoples fruit and veg ( it was quite the issue around 2008) on the top but my thinking is that while they are doing that unless they spot potatoes they will not consider going down. Since I will be digging the ground anyway it is not too much effort to go a little deeper to put something in.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:00 pmSince I will be digging the ground anyway it is not too much effort to go a little deeper to put something in.
I've not done this, nor given it much thought, but wouldn't it be easier to shallow bury, in a trench, something like 4 inch or 6 inch drain pipe and cap the ends or have the ends come out in some sort of access hole? Then slide tins/jars into it FIFO?
It's cheap per unit volume and if someone stumbled upon it they might just dismiss it as drains rather than treasure?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong