Long-Term Food

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Stonecarver

Re: Long-Term Food

Post by Stonecarver »

peejay wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm I was about to comment that oil can't really be stored very long-term without going rancid but re-checked my "facts" before doing so & found athta Olive Oil can be (properly) stored for up to 24 months or so so I've no idea what put in my head that it was more like 6 months....
What is your source for that info?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We keep our oil in a 25 litre bucket with sealed lid and tap in the pantry and just keep topping it up as and when it gets low. Might have to re think that practice?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I noticed my rice bran oil has a two year shelf-life. I would rather it was in glass than plastic though. Passata is better stored long term in glass bottles too, rather than plastic-lined cartons which are leaching chemicals into the food.
Ultimately I guess oil is not a necessity; all food can be boiled in a pot👌😊
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Lard, in the freezer. :mrgreen:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Butterfly wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:07 amI guess oil is not a necessity; all food can be boiled in a pot👌😊
Noooooo. Oil is an absolute staple. You can make anything edible by frying it. Also oil is a massive source of calories in its own right.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:22 pm Lard, in the freezer. :mrgreen:
You can’t fry an egg properly without lard!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Right! Olive oil bacon and eggs? yeugh!
hobo

Post by hobo »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 pm Right! Olive oil bacon and eggs? yeugh!
Olive oil, vege bacon and tofu. Yum! :lol: :lol:
peejay

Post by peejay »

Stonecarver wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:17 pm
peejay wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm I was about to comment that oil can't really be stored very long-term without going rancid but re-checked my "facts" before doing so & found athta Olive Oil can be (properly) stored for up to 24 months or so so I've no idea what put in my head that it was more like 6 months....
What is your source for that info?
This is the one I was reading when I posted: https://preparednessmama.com/cooking-fat-storage/
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Just added some coconut oil and ghee to my stock. Both have a 2 year best before.

From what I can make out solid saturated fat will last better than unsaturated oils as it is less reactive. Properly prepared fats and oils in sealed containers shouldn't suffer from bacterial or fungal problems but the chemicals composing the fat will slowly degrade causing rancidity.I

The enemies of fats are heat light and oxygen so kept in a cool dark place unopened they may last longer before they start to taste rancid. I have read some Indian blogs suggesting ghee is a traditional staple that will last indefinitely without a fridge.