Long-Term Food

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Long-Term Food

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Butterfly: Whats the thinking behind the Brita filters?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I filter tap water because it's full of chlorine, fluoride and I dread to think what else. I don't want to run out of filters. Hitler used to give fluoride to people to stop their brains working properly. It also blocks iodine absorption which is essential for thyroid gland function.
I have been reading the board about clean drinking water which is a separate subject to 'long term food'🙂One day I hope to have a bore-hole on some land to access good spring water. I used to have access to spring water which was very acidic and contaminated with chemicals from farm-land, so it does vary.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

OK, you're filtering tap water.
This is more about you living comfortably then as a survival measure.
I once spent a while trying to convince a lad that his Mum's filter jug wasn't ideal for bushcraft, and while I assumed that this was not the case with you I thought that checking couldn't hurt..... Sorry if I sounded like "That guy on the internet"

I didn't know about Fluoride and Iodine.... I better mention it to a friend who has a dicky thyroid.

I live in Norfolk, most of the 'wild' water around here is hard as Chuck Norris and bung full of agri-chemicals
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

My Father in law was works foreman at our local water treatment plant. He told me that tap water , at any given time , was at least 98% pure. Never 100% , as it had to pass through pipes and domestic plumbing. Good enough for me. When I was 19 I was posted to Belize for jungle training. We ran out of chlorine tablets. Believe me , chlorination of water is a blessing. When you have to burn your clothing after a patrol because of the effects of dirty water ( proper dirty),and be hosed down before you shower, you really appreciate being able to put a glass under a tap and drink it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I was about to comment that oil can't really be stored very long-term without going rancid but re-checked my "facts" before doing so & found athta Olive Oil can be (properly) stored for up to 24 months or so so I've no idea what put in my head that it was more like 6 months....
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

peejay wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm I was about to comment that oil can't really be stored very long-term without going rancid but re-checked my "facts" before doing so & found athta Olive Oil can be (properly) stored for up to 24 months or so so I've no idea what put in my head that it was more like 6 months....
Ah!!!! Damn!!!!!

I have 20 Litres that was all BBE 2017.

Suppose I'd better sample some. I did notice olive oil goes cloudy at certain temperatures, but recovers at room temp.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
peejay

Post by peejay »

Olive oil will go almost solid when cold, I know this because the bottle we keep in the caravan regularly did as such in the winter. And this reminds me because it has been up & down I'll have to remember to ditch & replace it when next in the van (haven't had opportunity to use it in the last year for various reasons).
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

jansman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm My Father in law was works foreman at our local water treatment plant. He told me that tap water , at any given time , was at least 98% pure. Never 100% , as it had to pass through pipes and domestic plumbing. Good enough for me. When I was 19 I was posted to Belize for jungle training. We ran out of chlorine tablets. Believe me , chlorination of water is a blessing. When you have to burn your clothing after a patrol because of the effects of dirty water ( proper dirty),and be hosed down before you shower, you really appreciate being able to put a glass under a tap and drink it.
The water where I live actually smells like bleach, and whilst under certain circumstances, chlorination of water may be a blessing; chlorine is not good for human health long term. I consider maintaining optimum health as a foundational aspect of prepping. If I don't have health and clarity of mind I will be less effective in all other aspects.
The ph of tap water is normally good; as for the purity, it varies in different counties and most add fluoride.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

An unopened tin of ghee will keep for several years. Not a perfect substitute for oil but acceptable in the majority of cases.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I use and store lard as well as oil. It's better for frying and can be used for baking - multi purpose :mrgreen: