Long-Term Food

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Long-Term Food

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think the enemies of all food storage is heat, light, moisture and oxygen

Interesting that the "Bad" fats store a lot better then the "Good" fats
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It is all a matter of chemistry. The unsaturated fats are more "reactive" which affects shelf life, how they behave in the body and how they behave when cooking. This "Trust me I'm a Doctor "experiment would suggest that saturated fats are a better choice for frying with and unsaturated fats may be less healthy than we think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -cook-with
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I sorta remembered that program, hence the quotemarks.
Thanks for finding the link though, now I have some ammunition for my ongoing healthy eating debate
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Just found a bag of tescos marshmallows in a cupboard, best before date of October 2018. Absolutely fine to eat. Well, four of us ate them, my wife refrained so at least she'll be able to post an update if it turns out they weren't OK after all :lol:
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I found a few boxes of food and stuff in stashes I forgot about that are 4-8 years out of date.

I’ve opened a few tins and most of it seems ok. I’m currently drinking the dried coffee. It’s a bit crap, but Asda dried coffee was never going to be good even when fresh! 😂

Vegetable oil 5 years out of date absolutely fine as well.

I took some videos of tinned food. Is there an easy way to share videos here? Might be of interest to folk...