Now rice and long-life milk is disappearing from shelves

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
nightowl

Now rice and long-life milk is disappearing from shelves

Post by nightowl »

Last week when I did the family shop it was just bog roll and pasta that had been cleared out. This morning I noticed that the shelves of long-life milk and rice were also now empty. The little Uncle Ben's style lob-them-in-the-microwave packets were still in plentiful supply though.
Ahastyatom

Re: Now rice and long-life milk is disappearing from shelves

Post by Ahastyatom »

I popped into my local Aldi today, it had no pasta, pasta sauce, chopped tomatoes, rice, frozen veg, long life milk and toilet rolls. There was very little tinned veg but the staff were filling up trollies of out of date fresh veg that had not been bought.

H
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Daughter phoned me at lunchtime today and apparently the Aldi nearest to her works had very little of anything, little fresh meat, no bread, wipes, baby wipes, nappies,pasta, tinned tomatoes, bleach, milk or UHT, loo or kitchen roll, paracetamol,no biscuits and crisps of all things were being rationed. She was very scared.
Growing old disgracefully!
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Local Asian shops seem to have plenty of some of the things that are disappearing from supermarkets... bog roll, rice etc.
RomeoAlfa20

Post by RomeoAlfa20 »

I have looked into to keeping tins of dried powered milk come in handy if wanting to brew up or mix with other things if needed in these circumstances
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've been buying tins of Marvel every week, it works as coffee creamer too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

nightowl wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:34 am Local Asian shops seem to have plenty of some of the things that are disappearing from supermarkets... bog roll, rice etc.
Our local Asian shops have everything we ( need). My wife shopped for her elderly parents yesterday. Mum insists its Tesco!!!! And is unaware of shortages. Anyhow, after queuing like a Soviet era Russian Mrs J insisted that shopping for US was totally local. After this is over, we will continue this way. It works.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
daylen

Post by daylen »

We've found that wholesale markets and small local food outlets are pretty full, even when the supermarkets aren't.
unsure

Post by unsure »

did the usual asda run today , very little uht milk and a limited amount of other milk , it was either 2 pints or 4 .
pasta , rice and tinned stuff , like meat was all cleaned out . can`t say i looked for rice as we have plenty .
as for every thing else it looked normal apart from the long que to get in .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I think pasta will be next on the shortage list as much of it is produced in Italy. I assume that no ships can dock currently so this will cause issues in the supply chain.