Price of TEA to increase drastically

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreparedKent

Re: Price of TEA to increase drastically

Post by PreparedKent »

My misses works at a national frozen food company which supplies Caterers.

We have tonnes of tea bags and neither of us are drinking them. I'm planning on growing Arabica Coffee bean plants from next spring onwards so will stock up on Coffee to last until then.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

How long after planting can you harvest from a tea bush ?

Also is Norfolk too far north ???

I don't drink coffee, I've given up tobacco and I've never liked Mary-Jane.... But to do without Tea? Unthinkable !!
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Brambles wrote:
gamekeeper752 wrote:d&m's were doing pg tips 300 packs for £4 the other day only picked up one cos I had picked up 2 packs of leaf tea super cheap from tesco's the day before and even I cant drink 20 cups IN one day although I give it a go most days

Pffft amateur :lol: :lol:

Industrial sized for me!

http://www.makro.co.uk/tetley-tea-bags-1100s.html

yep we have a Makro special sack of Typhoo which Mrs Andy Bought dispite me telling her to get Yorkshire Tea :cry: :evil: :cry: :x :evil: :x :evil: Its just about passable with Milk But tastes like dish water drunk black....

I can happily drink Yorkshire tea black due to camping and a bunch of middle age blokes at work who do nothing but grumble over where the last pint of milk has gone in the staff fridge.......

So i side step those complaints and slanging matches by drinking it black..... ;) And should the world end and there be no milk (like when 3 consecutive snow flakes land on the town ) im happy as long as my stove is handy and ive got tea (and some 70% dark chocolate which ive recently developed a taste for) :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Tetley tea is shite and needs more bags per cup so its not about cost(well not too much)

its the taste

just my humble opinion
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Morrison's super value teabags bought and stored. :mrgreen:

Tea's tea when it costs a fortune. :lol:

As an aside, last year 80 bags cost 20p they are now at 50p. :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I hate yorkshire tea with a passion, tastes like chemicals, same with typhoo. Tetley all the way for me and one bag is enough. :mrgreen:

It will be interesting to see if coffee and sugar follow the same trend. I have been stocking up on both again after the move.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Brambles wrote:I hate yorkshire tea with a passion, tastes like chemicals, same with typhoo. Tetley all the way for me and one bag is enough. :mrgreen:

It will be interesting to see if coffee and sugar follow the same trend. I have been stocking up on both again after the move.
No! not coffee, can't take my coffee away. Heh, now I'm worried :lol: I expect coffee to go the same way as tea, as will everything imported such as all that lovely fresh veg we get from Spain and the Netherlands. A lot of sugar is UK produced, so may not be as bad, though with oil going up again, transport costs could too.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

enjoying a lovely cuppa tea whilst reading the tea post's :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:How long after planting can you harvest from a tea bush ?

Also is Norfolk too far north ???

I don't drink coffee, I've given up tobacco and I've never liked Mary-Jane.... But to do without Tea? Unthinkable !!
I have just looked it up.There is reference to a tea plantation in Scotland!
I know the Duchy of Cornwall grow it on a commercial basis.I suspect that it will be a annual or biennial crop.Also, as you only pick the two leaf tips and bud, you would need a few plants and they seem rather pricey on initial viewing.Mind you, it could work.An old boy near me has two allotments and on one only grows tobacco!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I averted a panic attack and breakdown by hitting Costco :mrgreen: phew.