Out of date cans?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
munchh

Out of date cans?

Post by munchh »

Hi, ive looked about but cannot find a definitive answer, i know you hear about cans from the war still being ok to eat, but im thinking more modern.

Heinz classic potato and leek soup, date on the bottom "11-2013" other numbers are RL K8 2129 10:18.

its not bloated, or dented, ive found 8 like this in the cupboard, various things, scotch broth tomato soup, lentel soup?

i await your better knowledge. :oops:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pseudonym

Re: Out of date cans?

Post by pseudonym »

If the cans aren't leaking, are not blown, I say go for it.

Open one and do the sniff test, if you have to wake up and bandage your head, throw it. If not and it smells fine; eat away. :)

I've eaten older dated cans than that.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Yep totally agree me and the missus were having beans on toast the other day, the beans went out of date in 2011, I kept that bit to myself.
It was well timed reminder to rotate stocks :).
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

"Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° Fahrenheit and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, it is edible. Rust or dents do not affect the contents of the can as long as the can does not leak. If the can is leaking, however, or if the ends are bulged, the food should not be used." (source: http://www.mealtime.org).

Taken from Conserva. de (which incidentally is a good source of long term supplies - canned cheese, butter and bread for example.)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

munchh wrote:Hi, ive looked about but cannot find a definitive answer, i know you hear about cans from the war still being ok to eat, but im thinking more modern.

Heinz classic potato and leek soup, date on the bottom "11-2013" other numbers are RL K8 2129 10:18.

its not bloated, or dented, ive found 8 like this in the cupboard, various things, scotch broth tomato soup, lentel soup?

i await your better knowledge. :oops:
You'll struggle to get a definitive yes on whether or not you can eat 'out of date' tins, if someone (in any kind of official capacity) says its fine and its not they leave themselves open to a claim. As has been said, give it a sniff then 'suck it and see' is your best bet.
defender130

Post by defender130 »

Pretty much as everyone else has said they should be fine, do a sniff test and i normally also do a taste test if they smell good

Have had a few cans that although smelling and looking ok had a metallic taste to them both before and after heating up, looking into the empty can showed that the plating on the can itself had discoloured where it was in contact with the food and i guess was then responsible for the nasty taste within the food

I suspect that cheaper plating on the metals used for the cans is what is at fault
munchh

Post by munchh »

Thanks, so im on the right track, my only other question would be, would you keep out of date tins for longer now you have found them?
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

munchh wrote:Thanks, so im on the right track, my only other question would be, would you keep out of date tins for longer now you have found them?

I'd just start to rotate them out (eat) and replen with new.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Well the lentel soup tastes just how it should, ill let you know if i end up ill :D :cry:
AREA 3
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

We started to collect canned food but after some time noticed the type you didn't need a tin opener for that has a ring pull and the whole lid comes off the tins looked intact but the soups we had and many still just in date were rotten, it could of been a coincidence but a few went like this and the ordinary tins were ok.