Attention gardners

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
tirawa

Attention gardners

Post by tirawa »

I recently noticed a shrub that seems to be quite commonly planted in public spaces etc. What caught my attention was the presence of small yellowish fruits, about 2 inches across, that look like miniature pumpkins. Anyone know what they are, and, more importantly, are the fruits edible :mrgreen:
grenfell

Re: Attention gardners

Post by grenfell »

Shot in the dark without a picture really but maybe a quince? My daughter's school has quite a few planted along one of the paths. Have you tried picking one of the fruits and opening it up ? If it is a quince it will smell similar to apples and contain pips that are similar too , not surprising as they are related.

http://tcpermaculture.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -tree.html
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Pictures would help.

Is it this?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

No, it's not that. The fruits are yellowy-orange and shaped like little pumpkins. I'll get a pic tomorrow and pick one of the fruits for closer examination :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

OK mate.
I'm a crap gardener...... But I'm not bad at driving a search engine ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Could it be a Garcinia Cambogia also known as Tamarind??
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

Quince. I'd like to provide a photograph bu keep getting the message 'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached'...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Quince in flower
In fruit
And a few options for what to do with them
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/quince/
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

tirawa wrote:Quince.
Woo hoo I'm off to check the door , see if my head will still fit through :lol:
Arzosah

Re: Attention gardners a.k.a. quinces

Post by Arzosah »

I'm pulling up an old thread because it's about quince: I've finally got round to processing some quince from my shrub. I've just realised I didn't even weigh them :oops: but the bottom of a jam pan is well covered by halved quinces. I glugged some out of date lemon juice in there (I hope I don't kill myself, btw) and I'm supposed to let it simmer for an hour, then strain it through. There are also recipes where you use the flesh (this is the fruit that marmalade originated from).

I should have done this at the beginning of this month at the latest: I picked loads, but I've not been able to process them because of stuff going on. Anyway, these are left, and we'll see. I made 3 jars a few years ago, and they tasted nice.

It's not an automatic choice, but it could be really useful:
- the fruits are edible once processed, and they don't take long - chop them in half, simmer for 30 - 60 mins while covered with water and some lemon juice, strain, measure the liquid, boil up again with the right amount of sugar, jar it up and away you go.
- it's thorny. Potentially very thorny. The fruits kind of stand out, so I wouldn't put it in the front, but if you wanted defensive bushes around the edges of your back garden, it would be a good one.
- bees love it. It's early food for them, and they cluster around my shrub for weeks and weeks.
- it's incredibly easy to grow. All the advice says full sun, south or west facing. Mine grows north-facing in partial shade.

Oh, and I'm going to nab some seeds (there are *lots* of seeds) and try to grow some.