Off road Caravan/trailer tent to supplement a 4x4 BOV

Logistics and Transport
Lone

Re: Off road Caravan/trailer tent to supplement a 4x4 BOV

Post by Lone »

Not sure if relevant here, but I was watching a programme a couple of years ago, on the subject of folding caravans, which I found interesting, as they appeared to be easier to drive when towed behind a vehicle and easily stored, no high sides during travelling, also less vulnerable to strong winds, when you see caravans on footage weaving side to side, the wind pushing against them.

I personally don’t own any type of caravan, but I liked the concept of back-up living areas, that could be folded during dormant times, with little bit of effort, improving over time, to unfold them during use, as when unexpected storms arrives, much like a turtle (or is it tortoise) hides within its shell, the caravan can be lowered into folding position and secured more easily.

If I could have done, I’d have bought one for my garden, to be used as extra accommodation, or even a handy area in the summer, instead of keeping going into the house, etc., but can be folded in winter, storms, etc.

I liked the options
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

We're looking at a second hand Opus. https://www.opuscamper.co.uk/ pole version as that's cheaper rather than the newer pneumatic air ones. The Opus are redicuously spacious and offer a lot of headroom but light inside and yet compact. Need to check the tow weight of my focus estate though. We went to the caravan and motor home show last year at the NEC so we could look at small caravans, trailer tents etc. It was good to be able to go in them, so I could envisage what kit it could hold etc.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm
so I could envisage what kit it could hold etc.

Look for the ex works weight subtract that from the gross weight and it's not as much cargo capacity as you think
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lone

Post by Lone »

I had seen the Opus Camper amongst others when I was checking Google Images, think due to watching the folding-walled types in the programme, they looked sturdier and like a normal caravan when erected...demonstrating 3 different sized models...medium being the most likely, small being too small, large obviously more suited for a family or group, but even folded was long not practical when trying to stay low profile or suited for more uneven roads/tracks.

Keep meaning to see firsthand at a caravan show, better idea of quality than television.
blue90

Post by blue90 »

Why not use the money to convert a 4x4 van? Like a sprinter?