Securing a camper

Logistics and Transport
peejay

Re: Securing a camper

Post by peejay »

Essentially all you need to do is enough for them to think the next one is a better target. I've seen the vids of locks being dispatched in <1min but I reckon anyone trying to cut a steering lock is going to make a right mess of the interior so likely a good enough deterrent especially when used in combination with other methods.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thanks for the ideas folks, you can keep them coming.

We are on a small road off to one edge of the village, the only reason for coming down here is to come down here. We get on well with the neighbours and some of them are 'Older Persons' and as such are at home during the day.
Diskloc and pedal clamp were on the radar, I'm still looking at options for a wheel clamp (cordless angle-grinders mean that at least some of them aren't going to make the cut... ;) )

Re: numberplate on the roof. Is that an actual numberplate or just the registration in sticky letters?

I can't fit a folding bollard as the drive is gravel on earth.

I'm just trying to put the scrotes off enough that they try the camper at the other end of the road.... He's built like a brick privy and has a temper :twisted:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:13 pm Thanks for the ideas folks, you can keep them coming.

We are on a small road off to one edge of the village, the only reason for coming down here is to come down here. We get on well with the neighbours and some of them are 'Older Persons' and as such are at home during the day.
Diskloc and pedal clamp were on the radar, I'm still looking at options for a wheel clamp (cordless angle-grinders mean that at least some of them aren't going to make the cut... ;) )

Re: numberplate on the roof. Is that an actual numberplate or just the registration in sticky letters?

I can't fit a folding bollard as the drive is gravel on earth.

I'm just trying to put the scrotes off enough that they try the camper at the other end of the road.... He's built like a brick privy and has a temper :twisted:
Battery bangle grinders don't last long if being worked unless they come with extra batteries :lol:

You can stick a full numberplate on the roof or just letters but a numberplate is readable at night via anpr

Or you could put the cris number on top or your postcode

Other silly things take the chemi khazzi cartridge out and store it elsewhere. Leave the door unlocked..

Remove the sofa cushions too make it look bare and those pinching to order will see it as too much work

You can get slot in posts few bags of post Crete to secure the socket in the mud

Don't forget decent insurance and do what they require

If you have rotating front seats lock / chain them facing inside can't drive well stood up
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You can even play mind games dummy extra "van locks"
Might just make them think it's not worth the extra work

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... spheader=1

If your camper has wind down corner steadies

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purpleline-Ful ... cks&sr=8-1

One think I learned recently that most security items you declare make sod all difference to your premium but if declared they must be fitted :tinfoil

My caravan insurance for example

My minimum is a "proprietary" wheel clamp that covers at least one wheel nut... And a hitch lock.... No specified brands or quality

Tried adding leg locks .. no change in premium .. nor did ground anchor. Or additional wheel clamp / winter wheels .. a tracker knocked about £15 a year off and that was it

peejay

Post by peejay »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 pm
Tried adding leg locks .. no change in premium .. nor did ground anchor. Or additional wheel clamp / winter wheels .. a tracker knocked about £15 a year off and that was it
...and the tracker would have cost more than that anyway!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:37 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 pm
...and the tracker would have cost more than that anyway!

Exactly. Didn't hurt to play with the quote generator to see if I could save a few quid I'm a Yorkshire man after all :twisted:

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't have a camper but i do have a box trailer for my re-enactment gear which obviously needs securing. It's got its back doors padlocked but in this case the padlock is probably the weakest link in that it could be snipped off with bolt croppers. That's better than them forcing the doors off or making a hole in the roof. To be fair all they'd find would be largely wood or canvas , a few pots and pans and so on and probably not the sort of stuff they'd be after.
To secure the trailer as a whole i do a number of things. During the season i have a hitchlock and also chain it to my smaller work trailer. My wife's car is then parked in front. During the off season and that means all of last year i take the wheels off it and put t up on blocks. Not only makes it virtually impossible to steal but helps save the tires too.