Securing a camper

Logistics and Transport
ForgeCorvus

Securing a camper

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hiya Folks
Herself is buying a camper (I'm going to call it a Bug-Out Vehicle ... In my head anyway :lol: ) and due to the fact they fetch a good sum on the market, they are eminently nickable.
We're planning on keeping it parked on the drive (right outside our bedroom window) and probably blocked in by at least one of our cars most of the time. However, there will be times when it is not. Either because we're both out at different places or we're out using it.

So, I'm looking at wheel clamps, steering wheel locks and other physical protection..... The thing is I haven't a clue whats best for the job beyond big and chunky.
Any suggestions with regards to brands and styles to buy (or just as importantly avoid) ??
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Vitamin c

Re: Securing a camper

Post by Vitamin c »

Some more information would be good Ie
Do you have neighboursent who could hear crooks trying to remove security devices.
Or live out the way so thay can make as much noise as thay want.
Fill er up jacko...
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:31 pm Some more information would be good Ie
Do you have neighbours who could hear crooks trying to remove security devices.
Or live out the way so thay can make as much noise as thay want.
Fill er up jacko...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I'm in South London and the preferred way of securing the campers visible on peoples front drives round here seems to be the DVLA style triangle wheel clamp. I think a good car alarm would also help deter any little *****s who just fancy breaking in to muck about with their mates or to sleep (homeless or cant face home) You could also consider fitting one of those padlocked metal parking bollard post things if your drive is suitable to help make it too much trouble to nick.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My neighbour uses a wheel clamp on his. Never had one nicked in 20 odd years.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Start with the basics...

Keys secure in the house especially if modern keyless vehicle.... Buy a lock box for them for example...

Numberplate of your camper on the roof... Some pole mounted anpr will see them plus plod helicopter....

Look into the ghost immobiliser if fitted right is a crooks worst nightmare as it's invisible... (You have to set a password in terms of indicate left , press fog light button flash main beam then press brake pedal sort of thing ) and it'll only start if the sequence is correct..

https://ghostinstallations.co.uk/ghost- ... SMQAvD_BwE

As for the big feck off ..

Purple line nemasis wheel clamp...

https://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-wheel-clamp

Disc lock steering wheel lock

https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/

Clutch claw

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/clutc ... ty-device/

A drive post wouldn't go amiss either to stop it being pushed away from the house for example

A alarm of some sort you can also get GPS GSM trackers cheap enough now
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

A pal of mine had a monitored tracker on his caravan. One night he got a call from them: "Mr Smith, your caravan has been stolen. The police have caught them".
He had a clamp but heard nothing; OB caught a gang of travellers a couple of miles away. They had four nicked vans in convoy.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

korolev wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:56 pm A pal of mine had a monitored tracker on his caravan. One night he got a call from them: "Mr Smith, your caravan has been stolen. The police have caught them".
He had a clamp but heard nothing; OB caught a gang of travellers a couple of miles away. They had four nicked vans in convoy.
Dad's mate lost his they used Oxy gas axe in broad daylight to cut the locks off if they want it they will have it but nice to slow them up.

Your mates tracker saved 4 vans :mrgreen:

Another of my dad's mates had a Impreza nicked.... Tracker unit was left on his drive they removed it before driving it away (stole keys)

Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I’d say:
- CCTV around the house - or a Ring doorbell
- Tracker

Other physical security can be very easily removed if so motivated.

The ‘number plate on the roof’ idea is genius. I’d never thought that and it’s so obvious. As all brilliant ideas are!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There's even low tech stuff like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-BTANT ... 1142769603

The fuse link let's the battery to supply the radio to keep the code and stuff to "work" until you crank it then pop...

Things like a car horn wired into the brake circuit with a hidden switch especially if the units parked in a tight spot

To pulling the glow plug fuse or the one for the fuel
tank pump or swapping it for a blown one so it will not run even with the keys

If you have a house alarm an extra wire free sensor in the cabin of the camper

And if you get on with your neighbors make them aware that no one is going to borrow or take your camper for service your at any point unless you give them the heads up