Tanker Drivers Ballot 9th October 2020

Logistics and Transport
bobble

Tanker Drivers Ballot 9th October 2020

Post by bobble »

Just a "heads up" for possible fuel shortages?
Tanker Drivers are being balloted about possible strike action after talks about changes to contract conditions stalled. The votes are due in today.
Might be worthwhile getting petrol tanks topped up now just in case there are supply problems coming down the line😶
The Green Man

Re: Tanker Drivers Ballot 9th October 2020

Post by The Green Man »

Thanks for the heads up, I remember the nightmare during the fuel protests, it’s the last thing we need right now!

It seems they are trying to lay off some tanker drivers and are blaming the pandemic, I can’t understand the thinking behind this, it’s as if they believe the economy is never going to recover and people aren’t going to go back to using the same amounts of fuel again!
What are they planning on doing in the future? Rehiring the tanker drivers?
Madness.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Thanks bobble! I'll top up in the morning!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

https://unitetheunion.org/news-events/n ... r-dispute/

Is a link to the unite page. Not found anything re the result yet. Let's hope there's no strike, not what we need right now!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 pm Thanks for the heads up, I remember the nightmare during the fuel protests, it’s the last thing we need right now!

It seems they are trying to lay off some tanker drivers and are blaming the pandemic, I can’t understand the thinking behind this, it’s as if they believe the economy is never going to recover and people aren’t going to go back to using the same amounts of fuel again!
What are they planning on doing in the future? Rehiring the tanker drivers?
Madness.
I’m not at all close to this story but your challenge is interesting. If they don’t have the work, who will pay their salaries?
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We are keeping ours full at the mo since seeing this. Hope they give the decision soon.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I remember the last tanker strike (1999/2000?). I was living in Devon and had just bought a new (to me) car. It had a minor fault which didn't affect the driving and I took it back to the garage to fix it. Day after I dropped it off the refineries got blocked and there was no fuel.
The bloke "fixing" it said he had to order a part and kept it for two weeks, when he returned it, it was virtually empty (I dropped it off with a virtually full tank) ; the ****** had been using it to run about for the fortnight. He denied it, and I had no proof but I know he was.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The 2000 strike lasted about a week as I remember. Shelves stripped blah blah.

Also, as I recall, contingency planning was made by the government-of-the-day for a repeat event. Our Borough Council has all the bin wagons at a depot at the North end of the village. Back then, they did a deal with the petrol station at the South end, and every afternoon at about 3pm , they are queuing to fill up. Been doing that for 20 years. John, the owner told me that in a crisis, the council will pay top dollar to get priority attention.

Going on that, I suspect that a potential strike will come to nothing. On the other hand, they may be famous last words!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Update- tanker drivers have voted 96%in favour of strike action. Looks like it will start on 2nd November and there will be several dates throughout November. Other dates are on Liverpool Echo website apparently. (i can't access it at the moment) 😶
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks bobble