Canal EGRESS

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Canal EGRESS

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:26 pm I'd think canals and riverbanks would always be a handy wee rat run if you wanted to move quietly. Just don't fall in.
:lol: I have done that a few times when fishing!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cupid_Stunt

Post by Cupid_Stunt »

Whilst not strictly on-topic, but in the same vein, we have 100s of miles of railways in this country. Some are still in use, (Great Western Railways not so much :x )obviously, but a lot are now disused. They have one point in common with the waterways, though - they are all built on flat terrain so will make easy progress when in a "get home" scenario.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not all out to get me
ArkasiaAcoma

Post by ArkasiaAcoma »

Walking on ballast is not as easy as you think. It is tiring and walking just a mile can be challenging. Sleepers and rail are slippery and dangerous to walk on, third rail is deadly at 750v dc. Though i will use the railways to return home if i'm in work when SHTF as i drive trains for a living.
Tankford

Post by Tankford »

Unless you already had a canal boat, you would probably struggle to use this as an escape route? If you already had one, then it is understandable to be using it to plan. As people mentioned there are draw backs (if it gets blocked) but there are advantages.

Not far from me there is farmland that has moorings on it and the only way to get to it is on the canal (it is the other side to the path). Why not do a weekend on a boat and see what the area is like and how far you can get in a day?
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

me and the family have done quite abit of geocaching over the years on and off and done quite abit along canal tow paths as it a nice walk,as for bugging out by a boat id say no too noisy and slow we have watched barges going through lock systems and the time it takes to get through them,on foot yes maybe if you quick but as said the tow path is mostly on one side,we have gone from llangollen to elesmere in a day geocaching nice walk but in a SHTF???
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

The key is to move and or get to a relatively safe area well ahead of time.
As soon as trouble starts, you'll be safe by night movement.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I second railway lines mostly your fenced in in built up areas easy to follow just walk along the concrete wire housing that runs along the track .
As kids in London we would use the train lines all the time if you wanted to get about without being seen only problem is others do the same as your never quite sure who your bump into
Also train line maps are easy enough to get and if you wanted to travel distance it would be ideal once rural the lines follow their own path so no roads ect .
It definitely worth a think.
Fill er up jacko...