Roadless Landrover

Logistics and Transport
Lone

Roadless Landrover

Post by Lone »

This is a vehicle I like, used in forestry, etc. Think it comes under agricultural, therefore may be perks as normal as well as work transport. People tend to forget in emergencies, roads may be blocked or full of debris, that you will need a capable vehicle for rough-terrain, or off-road, but built solidly allowing attachments to be added - winch, spare wheel(s), fuel, etc - also best to give the look of the vehicle as that of a wreck or ‘rat rod’ exterior, but mechanically absolutely sound...that way it’d put off thieves thinking it was out of action, or unroadworthy. Even better, bluff, by also having one wheel off and on a jack (looking then like it’s ready for the scrap), attachments strategically located in hidden areas, for quick addition when bugging out. A deliberately well- organised but disorderly-looking garage is a good deterrent too...obviously vehicle and all items checked regularly. Makes it look to outsiders that you are the very opposite of being prepared...call it a type of urban camouflage...
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Roadless Landrover

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If it runs it will be pinched or been a landrover will be stripped for parts in a garage or not...

In a shtf fuel tank of a lifted vehicle is begging to be stabbed and drained

You'd be as well having a old ford focus / astra / free lander unless you have done monumental reccy work off road driving is full of hazards at the best of times drop it in a land drain even with a winch and land anchor your screwed.... That coupled with shortages of fuel

A common vehicle once the initial chaos has died doesn't stand out and parts are much easier to come by be it a tyre or a exhaust slap some all season or winter tyres
even run flats on it and you will be supprised where you can get it .

You can get after market steel sump guards for most cars

Eg

https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump ... -1998-2004

To stop you knocking off the vital bits..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lone

Post by Lone »

It’s a vehicle that caught my attention due to its robust look, though I like the battered version better than this pristine version, along with the canvas cover at the back.

Has a real rugged Mad Max feel to it, when attachments/equipment are also added.

http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/col ... rover-1964
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like the oid lightweight air transportable 1/2 tonne, but as a day to day it's a no go

I'll stick with my 4 year old SUV ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

i have a few rides available to me .
my day to day is a 94 discovery tdi . all done for off roading and it does get used for that .
also have a 98 challenger .. no not a tank . a mitsubishi 2.8 diesel automatic .
and as a last resort a ford sierra 2.8 petrol that looks rough with no bumpers on or headlights at the minute oh and about 7 different shades of paint , black through to primer .
any of these is good to go at any one time .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

another old comment id like to post on but iv still got my 1st legal car tucked away a mk5 cortina estate 20l gl with pinto engine and twin 45 webber carbs on it,goes like shit off a shovel for its age and easy to repair and will run in a emp,should we every have a mad max scenrio,and great fun in the snow lol...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
blue90

Post by blue90 »

Anything up to TD5 will be the one, TD5 and over and you are looking at difficult roadside repairs.200TDI would be the best bet for simplicity VS reliability. I run a 19J, its reliable (looked after) , easy to repair with minimal tools, Incredibly easy to diagnose and parts are cheap and plentiful, downside is 25-27 mpg and its not very powerful.
unsure

Post by unsure »

blue90 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 pm Anything up to TD5 will be the one, TD5 and over and you are looking at difficult roadside repairs.200TDI would be the best bet for simplicity VS reliability. I run a 19J, its reliable (looked after) , easy to repair with minimal tools, Incredibly easy to diagnose and parts are cheap and plentiful, downside is 25-27 mpg and its not very powerful.
if you can , dump the old 19j , they dump swirl pots in the head for fun , try and get a 200 0r 300 tdi into it .
more power and torque and still a good few of them around
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
blue90

Post by blue90 »

Ive ran a 19J for 15 years now, been up and down Europe twice with it, Greece, Switzerland, its been up and down the Uk, never had a pre-combustion chamber (they arnt swirl pots) come away on me yet. They do however suffer from cracked piston crowns and I have yet to see one without cracks, but unless they are severe they will just plod along regardless, I have never really had an issue.
The problem arises when people follow poor maintenance schedules, bad fuelling being the main issue leading to cracked piston crowns. The old CAV injectors however are very simple to maintain, a cheap pop tester is really all you need to check and rebuild them.
Really, if the 19J were as bad as its reputation calls it out to be, there wouldn't be any of them left! Im quite happy they have a bad rep though, it means I can pick them up for 50 quid, rebuild them for less than 500 quid and have a decent engine that will easily run for 300k if looked after.
200TDI, now there is an engine I dont see much of nowadays. :D
P050708_13.55[01].JPG