Prepping for long drive with toddler

Logistics and Transport
DoktorMeot

Prepping for long drive with toddler

Post by DoktorMeot »

I'm driving from North of Scotland to the Netherlands on Monday (ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam).

In the car will be me (driver) and my son (almost 2). I've not driven further than 200 miles before.

I've packed stuff we'll need while we're there - clothes mainly, including jackets, walking boots, warm clothes. The car already has a good car seat and I've got a buggy in there too.

I don't currently have breakdown cover as I rarely drive at home. Could I get breakdown cover solely for the journey to Newcastle? I've tried looking at AA website but can't see any options for just 1 day - buying a years cover would be such a waste of money. I've been told numerous times that I'll be fine, that Newcastle isn't far, etc. But being stuck around the border in a car with just the toddler and no way home is scary for me!

Any advice on what to pack for the journey? Any advice on breakdown cover and recovery? Any words of advice in general? I'm away for 3 months

Thanks
jansman

Re: Prepping for long drive with toddler

Post by jansman »

If you drive,and have next to no mechanical aptitude,like me :lol: ,then a year's breakdown cover is not a waste of money.If you have car problems,I guarantee it will be at the worst possible moment.It is nice to know that you can call your chosen service provider,and if you have a smartphone you can get an app by which they can find you! When something happens,it is always the middle of nowhere!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you can amend your car insurance on line see if you can add European brakedown cover on then remove it after your trip?

Other than the big three there's these

https://quote.emergencyassistltd.co.uk/ ... 8953000610

Or ADAC plus cover will do you Europe wide they subcontract the AA over here
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Your toddler's favourite songs on CD or whatever, and snacks and drinks for him. I realise thats not what you asked :oops: and if you're away for 3 months, breakdown cover is a definite one that you need.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If you seldom drive then breakdown cover is really not a waste of money, cars are susceptible to Murphy at the best of times.

We don't have kids, but when travelling with the dogs we need access to the gear needed to clean them up (both the crates if they're carsick and after a 'walk'), give them a drink and keep them warm/cool/dry..... Small humans aren't that different, they just need something to keep them amused as well.

Check fluids, tyres* and lights before the day and on the day.

*I don't know if you've got one of those air-pumps that plugs in to your lighter socket, but they're worth carrying at all times
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Hmmm ok - so breakdown cover seems to be a priority then. I guess I knew that deep down or I wouldn't have thought to mention it. I don't have a lot of £ to spend so will try to find a good deal. It was a very quick look online before I posted here. A more thorough search may yield more favourable results.

Good shout to try to add it to my current insurance, think I'll try that first. I had a look at some policies for European cover for 3 months.

My son's favourite songs on CD is an amazing shout and absolutely what I was looking for! Anything to delay the inevitable moaning
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Ha. Just realised that I was asking a group of preppers if I'd be ok with not prepping for a breakdown. Oh my, I'm dumb at times. I'll get cover
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DoktorMeot wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:47 pm Ha. Just realised that I was asking a group of preppers if I'd be ok with not prepping for a breakdown. Oh my, I'm dumb at times. I'll get cover
:lol:

When you put it like that... yeah.

You probably know already what works for you, or at least if you have a good think about it you will. Break it down, what does the wee one need, what do you need, what do either or both of you need if you end up in a traffic queue or other calamity. If you're away long term then I'm guessing you'll have plenty clothes etc for warmth, do you have plenty water and food (both quick nibbly stuff like sweets/fruit or whatever AND stuff that is maybe a bit longer term for both of you). If you have a first aid kit in the car normally do you think it needs beefed up for a longer journey ? If for whatever reason have you got a bag that you could walk away from your car with ? What about a power bank/spare batteries if you're sat in traffic (or whatever and have to turn the engine off), might be handy to charge a phone, even just to watch Peppa Pig on youtube. Would you need to heat food for the wee one possibly ?
Have a think about what you need to provide for yourselves and if the standard ways aren't available how will you work round it. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GB sticker

Red triangle

High vis vest in the door pocket

http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/holland.html
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

In my opinion, a car is far more likely to need you to have prepped than a house :
You will probably breakdown or have an accident a fair way from home (although one of my cars once broke down 200 yards up the road).
You might have a long wait for a breakdown truck and/or a long journey back home.
You might get stuck in the car for a long time because of weather or traffic.
You might have to leave the car and seek shelter (or more likely be accommodated in a church hall or somesuch).

An AA card, Visa card and a car bag can make life much easier when it all goes tits-up (and it will, sooner or later).