Car kit

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Car kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been a bad accident on one of the localish motorways today one of my friends has been stuck just behind the incident for the best part of 7 hours. . fortunately it was warm......

I worth peeling back and looking at the basics as 7 hours is a blooming long time

Water and something to drink from .....

Food (long life stuff ration meals / lifeboat rations that will survive the temperature ranges in the boot without going bad / Melting...

Toilet needs typical bloke I've got a small loo roll and a few bags.

Warm stuff let's be honest if it was -5°c it would be much more unpleasant blanket / sleeping bag wooly jumper hat gloves

Phone charger be it cig lighter type or power bank to keep the phone topped up so you can update the nearest and dearest...

And once your bored of Facebook and Jeremy vine a book to read wouldn't go amiss

It's ok having a winch / shovel / snow chains and a tow rope but realistically your more likely to be stranded on a motorway commute unless you live in the back of beyond :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Re: Car kit

Post by jansman »

Thanks for that reminderAndy. More waters and a book are my weakness there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

My van kit is probably my best and most organised prep. It all fits under the lift up seats. Water, stove, coffee, squash etc. Some long life food pouches. Change of clothes. Blanket, hat, gloves. Paclite waterproof. Big roll. First aid kit. Even a small tent.

I have a further kit in the back to deal with vehicle problems and my fly fishing kit is always stashed in there too 👍
Quill

Post by Quill »

This is a daft question, but I've seen mention of a stove in car kits a few times on this site. How does that work? Surely an open flame is a bad idea in a car?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Quill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm This is a daft question, but I've seen mention of a stove in car kits a few times on this site. How does that work? Surely an open flame is a bad idea in a car?

Open the car door and place on the tarmac ;)

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Quill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm This is a daft question, but I've seen mention of a stove in car kits a few times on this site. How does that work? Surely an open flame is a bad idea in a car?
It’s not actually for in the car
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We have a wool blanket, tow strap, ratchet straps, water, tissues, first aid kit, emergency blankets, emergency shelter, hi-viz, emergency beacons, insect repellent and some extra charging cables in the front and under and behind the back seats of the truck along with my walking staff and the jimmy bar. In the truck box we have emergency water pouches, freeze dried meals, stove and gas, matches and ferro rod and striker, more first aid, foldable water bottles, disposa johns, folding shovel, water filter, storm matches, tinder. bin liners, cooking pot, foldable cups, sporks, box with electrical tape, various sizes of cable ties, screws, nails, a small axe, duct tape and other sundries, head torches and spare batteries, hand warmers, a 4 x 4m tarp, paracord and other stuff I can't remember right now. We also carry various essential tools and husband will be receiving a Noco boost battery charger for Christmas.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Even the most basic car kit ( based on your individual needs) is useful. I was fishing a local pond yesterday,and I left my flask of tea in the kitchen,duuuh! Only realised when I fancied a slurp….car kit it was then.Hexi stove,crusader cup and canteen,bish,bash,bosh! And whilst the kit was out,I did a boil in the bag Mexican rice ,and mixed in a tin of sardines.Yes,I know that sounds odd,but it was bang on!

It gave me an opportunity to check the contents too. There is nothing in there that is superfluous.Everything has a use,and in many cases,more than one use. The food will be replaced today,and some spare socks will go in too. I got wet - footed when I was packing up my fishing kit!

Oh yes,as per Yorkshire Andy’s suggestion,more water and a book in there too ( I could have done with that when waiting for Mrs J at the hospital on Thursday).
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Zedsdead wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm It’s not actually for in the car
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:19 pm Open the car door and place on the tarmac ;)

Ahhhhh, that makes far more sense, ta!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Quill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Zedsdead wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm It’s not actually for in the car
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:19 pm Open the car door and place on the tarmac ;)

Ahhhhh, that makes far more sense, ta!

If you want to warm stuff in the car get a 12v travel kettle but be aware that they are slow AND that YOU MUST keep the engine running.. not that I've ever flattened my car battery whilst trying to make a brew :oops:

If your wanting to warm a meal pouch

https://survivalandoutdoors.co.uk/briti ... P-EALw_wcB

Just beware they release hydrogen gas once water is added