Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Screenshot_20210831-215023.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

There's some great suggestions here for a comprehensive home first aid kit. The only things I can think to add right now are items to take care of your feet e.g. anti-fungal cream/powder, blister plasters.

I also keep steri-strips in mine, I don't think they've been mentioned but might have missed it.

I keep Paracetamol in both regular tablet form and in effervescent form. It might just be me but if I ever have a stomach bug I find it so much easier to slowly sip a small glass of dissolved Paracetamol than to try to swallow 2 tablets with a big gulp of water all at once (I seem to need quite a big drink to take tablets, husband can take them with nothing!) and it always helps me feel better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Probably worth having some Aspirin on hand too

My parents had a leather finger stall and a hot-water inhaler* in the medicine kit for most of my life, both used no end of times by the whole family.

*It was so impregnated with Vick's that even using just plain water would fill the house with the fumes, made by "S Maw,Son&Sons"
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pitchshifter wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:04 pm There's some great suggestions here for a comprehensive home first aid kit. The only things I can think to add right now are items to take care of your feet e.g. anti-fungal cream/powder, blister plasters.

I also keep steri-strips in mine, I don't think they've been mentioned but might have missed it.

I keep Paracetamol in both regular tablet form and in effervescent form. It might just be me but if I ever have a stomach bug I find it so much easier to slowly sip a small glass of dissolved Paracetamol than to try to swallow 2 tablets with a big gulp of water all at once (I seem to need quite a big drink to take tablets, husband can take them with nothing!) and it always helps me feel better.
That £20 220 piece kit from amazon.Contains 5 packs of steri-strips (equivalent) which alone has to be a fivers worth. It's now been supplemented with Germolene, Pain killers, wide Sticky Tape and a few more big plasters, and a couple of nappy bags. It's now choc full. I'll append an inventory, shortly.

Though it's not about meds, I've added some Virasorb. When a cold-sore starts, that IS an emergency. :)

Firmly recommend the £20 kit, though the one for 93p more might be spectacular.
If the 309 item kit at £20.93 Just 93p more, lives up to this standard, I'd rave about it. I probably bought the wrong one, but I'm still delighted
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Inventory of
that £20 220 piece kit from amazon.

Nylon Zipped Case 23 x 13 x 17
2 x Triangular Bandage 127cm x 90cm
5 x 5 Non-Woven Swabs 7.5cm x 7.5cm
20 x Wound Cleaning Wipes
2 x Large Non-Adhesive dressings 10cm x 10cm
2 x Medium Non-Adhesive dressings 7.5cm x 7.5cm
4 x Small Non-Adhesive dressings 5cm x 5cm
2 x Large Adhesive dressings 10cm x 7.5cm
2 x Medium Adhesive dressings 7.5cm x 7.5cm
4 x Small Adhesive dressings 5cm x 7.5cm
2 x 20 Assorted Washable Plasters
1 x 20 Assorted Fabric Plasters
1 x 20 Assorted Childrens Plasters
3 x 3 Skin Closure Strips 6mm x 75mm
3 x 5 Skin Closure Strips 3mm x 75mm
1 x Large Dressing 12cm x 10cm
2 x Medium Dressing 7.5cm x 10cm
1 x Crepe Bandage 5cm x 4m
2 x Conforming Bandage 7.5cm x 4m
2 x Conforming Bandage 5cm x 4m
2 x Finger Dressings 3.5cm
2 x Instant Ice Pack
3 x Eye Pad Dressing
2 x Blister Dressing 52mm x 28mm
2 x Sachet Eye Wash 20ml
2 x Microporous Adhesive Tape 12.5mm x 10m
1 Pair Scissors : Decent quality for cutting dressings
1 Pair Tweezers : Decent quality 8cm long
1 x Small sleeve for the tweezers
1 x Bonus First Aid Pocket about 20cm x 16cm
1 x Whistle : Modest quality
12 x Assorted Safety Pins
1 x First Aid Leaflet : Very small
4 x Pairs Vinyl Gloves
2 x Foil Blankets 210cm x 130cm
1 x Resusc Shield Valved

Added :-
Germolene, Pain killers, wide Sticky Tape and a few more big plasters, virasorb and a couple of nappy bags. It's now choc full.

I Firmly recommend the £20 kit, though the one for 93p more might be spectacular.
If the 309 item kit at £20.93 Just 93p more, lives up to this standard, I'd rave about it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:19 pm Inventory of
that £20 220 piece kit from amazon.
*Stuff*
Added :-
Germolene, Pain killers, wide Sticky Tape and a few more big plasters, virasorb and a couple of nappy bags. It's now choc full.

I Firmly recommend the £20 kit, though the one for 93p more might be spectacular.
If the 309 item kit at £20.93 Just 93p more, lives up to this standard, I'd rave about it.
Thats not too shabby..... The only 'bulking items' on the list seem to be the three different lots of plasters
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well the current news of the shortage of blood sample tubes and kit for blood tests lead me to think "what if?".

Those of us who have In the past have traveled to the more remote parts of the world might be aware of the

"foreign travel sterile medical kit"

Eg

https://evaq8.co.uk/overseas-medical-ki ... ables.html

Where the systems/ hospital settings are less aseptic and sterility / sterilisation of kit might be less than ideal....

Few years back the in-laws visited some foreign climbs on a cruise . Think it took in Cuba can remember her clearing the £ shop of tooth brushes and soap for tipping the staff

.. During the voyage the mil broke a tooth in the ships restaurant on something in the dinner that shouldn't have been there .. it was causing her big issues .. when on shore the ships medic found them a "registered" dentist by the sounds of it it was probably one pulled out of the 3rd world yellow pages ... Ship organised a taxi and the captain / holiday firm agreed to foot the bill :lol:

+Pause+

Before she went I bullied her into a shop run by a chap I know who does first aid training and medical supplies....

Explained where she was going and he sold her a mini custom made fak and a standard sterile foreign medical kit....

+I digress +

On arrival she was whisked into the chair guessing there was a good rate of money traded from the ship ..

As they began realising the basic facilities the FIL quickly whipped out the sterile kit and thrust it at the dentist....

Good job between him and the ships rep (that went with them as translator / money Carrier) .. the old school glass and steel syringe 💉 of dental anaesthetics got dropped back in the kidney dish .. as the entire dental surgery stopped to wonder at the marvelous bag of brand new sealed kit .... So much so a brand new bottle of anaesthetic was produced from the stock room. The dentist seemed impressed with his new gloves and used one of the syringes and needle to numb the gum before yanking out what was left...

All the time marveling at the contents of the super bag no dental tools but guessing clean kit was hard to come by and he used the suture kit to close up the gum not sure if it's commonly used or if he just wanted to play :?

In the end they left the kit with the dentist who seemed over the moon and thankful to them for the new tools of the trade :lol:

But if it gets worse and someone in the family gets Ill I've got some kit that the pro's can use

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:50 pm
Those of us who have In the past have traveled to the more remote parts of the world might be aware of the

"foreign travel sterile medical kit"

Eg

https://evaq8.co.uk/overseas-medical-ki ... ables.html
All the time marveling at the contents of the super bag no dental tools but guessing clean kit was hard to come by and he used the suture kit to close up the gum not sure if it's commonly used or if he just wanted to play :?
WOW! A first aid kit with syringes and actual sutures. I had no idea you could buy them. So real Bear Grylls types can actually stitch their own wounds!!!
I notice that's made by Reliance Medical too.
Note also that site, evaq8 Do some good value purification tablets. I have loads, from amazon and they are good value. Will have to scour that evaq8 site: Looks handy..

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:01 pm

WOW! A first aid kit with syringes and actual sutures. I had no idea you could buy them. So real Bear Grylls types can actually stitch their own wounds!!!
I notice that's made by Reliance Medical too.
Note also that site, evaq8 Do some good value purification tablets. I have loads, from amazon and they are good value. Will have to scour that evaq8 site: Looks handy..
Might be a bit extreme but if you end up needing medical care and the surgery / hospital has run out of basic kit due to supply issues. . . . I've got something..

It's obviously been put together by someone who knows what sterile basics a Dr or at a push a vet :lol: would need

A few sterile needles occasionally come in handy for digging out splinters at home anyway :lol: I usually heat a sewing needle with a lighter to sterilise it

I've used the evaq8 store a few times in the past like most shops some stuff is cheap other bits expensive but they seem to carry lots of obscure things but looking through the site there's lots of stuff out of stock

Noticed fire extinguishers hard to get at the moment in some common sizes .. not just their site the extinguisher agent at work mentioned it and a quick scout on line seems to back it up

hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Hi,

I'm building my own first aid kit, although I wish I had seen the £20 ones on Amazon as I would have got one of those and added to it. Thanks for sharing the professional kit on Evaq8. Didn't realise it was possible to get things like that, so I'll definitely be buying one of those.