Don't need a blood test anytime soon...

Medical and Healthcare
Le Mouse

Don't need a blood test anytime soon...

Post by Le Mouse »

This is concerning: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... e-shortage
Hospitals and GPs in England are being forced to ration blood tests as the NHS struggles to cope with a severe shortage of the plastic sample bottles that are then sent to a laboratory for analysis.

Some GP surgeries have stopped giving patients routine blood tests to assess the health of those with heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. In some places, GP practices have had to ring patients to tell them not to come in for pre-booked blood tests as a result of the problem.

Hospitals are also telling GPs in their area to cut back on the number of tests they do by more than 50% to try to conserve supplies, stocks of which are running dangerously low in many places.
GeeGee

Re: Don't need a blood test anytime soon...

Post by GeeGee »

Hubby needs regular blood tests due to leukeamia with it being blood cancer its a massive thing as the blood counts determine a lot of stuff ...
With covid he hasnt been having any and we have had to learn to trust our judgement on a lot of things ..not a bad thing to have learned tbh as if everything hit the fan and we were unable to access these tests any more its exactly what we would have to do ..hes been less stressed strangely enough as he hasnt been waiting for more bad news
Was on the phone with docs yesterday for about 25 mins while she did whatever it was she needed to do to find a place that had vials for the tests ..mentioned a few places quite a few miles away .. she said you wouldn't believe how fast our stock has gone and we dont know when we will have some more ...shes made a provisional app for mid sept but who knows
In a way I'm glad that we've had the 17/18 months of having to learn to deal with things differently without the results from blood counts white cells red cells etc .. or we would be in a panic but I do feel for anyone who is waiting for a test to see if they have any form of blood disorder
Sometimes even being a prepper when you expect anything and everything to happen.. something like this comes along and still surprises me .. goes to show just how prepared we really need to be doesn't it .
jansman

Post by jansman »

For a first world country, how have we got into this position?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 pm For a first world country, how have we got into this position?
Relying on third world countries for cheap manufacturing :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:35 pm Hubby needs regular blood tests due to leukeamia with it being blood cancer its a massive thing as the blood counts determine a lot of stuff ...

Sometimes even being a prepper when you expect anything and everything to happen.. something like this comes along and still surprises me .. goes to show just how prepared we really need to be doesn't it .
GeeGee, it sounds like you and your husband are coping brilliantly, kudos to you. These supply shortages don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them - I suppose the only way to cope is to keep stocks high. But the blood test is about supplies held by medical establishments ... you're doing so well to cope with this.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:56 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 pm For a first world country, how have we got into this position?
Relying on third world countries for cheap manufacturing :roll:
Yes,I know. I suppose mine was more of a rhetorical question. The firm my daughter manages actually MAKES medical equipment such as walking frames,bath lifts,commode etc etc. They are the ONLY firm in the UK that does. Her partner ( he is the production manager for all four UK sites) told me that the Leicester site alone has increased by ten million pounds in a single year.They cannot knock gear out quick enough,simply because those cheap manufacturers abroad are experiencing supply chain problems.

However,their expansion is hampered by lack of ( good) drivers, and welders. This skills shortage ( and I mean hands- on ,proper ,skilled making and mending stuff,not computer tip- tappers) is plaguing the developed nations. That is the legacy of driving down costs ,and throwing domestic smoke stack industry to the wolves.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Urgh. I'm on 6 monthly blood tests for my thyroid 🙄
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island