The Home Medicine Cabinet.

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

The Home Medicine Cabinet.

Post by jansman »

So... the chance of winning the lottery is about 14 million:1 it seems.The chance of getting to see a doctor is about 1 million less! :lol: This is where the Medicine Cabinet comes in.Today,Mrs J developed a heat rash.She was concerned it could be something else. Tried to ring the GP. Waste of ******* time. She went to the pharmacy smack opposite our house. The main man said “ that is a classic heat rash” after asking a few questions. Sold her a pack of Aqueous Calamine Cream.Applied it,and the rash has calmed right down.

Make sure you have all those simple remedies in folks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: The Home Medicine Cabinet.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And after sun. Mrs a got rather bad sun burn last week... I don't burn I tan :mrgreen: ....

By 10pm her winging had got so bad I poured 4 sachets of hydrogel burns gell on her back after the complaints that it was cold and sticky shut her up long enough for me to get to sleep :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The pharmacy is often a good bet for a quick "opinion" from someone on the medical spectrum as well as for the medicine cabinet.
Many years ago I worked for a GP and if a patient was told to see the GP asap by the pharmacist we had orders to squeeze them in for an appointment regardless of how fully booked we were. The GP knew the minor complaints had already been checked for and it was likely to be more serious
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Must admit at the start of the pandemic I beat the masses and stocked up on most OTC available stuff. From Aspirin to zantac

Not that you can buy Ranitidine anymore was pulled at the end of last year......

jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs.J.has conducted a little audit of our supplies,on the back of that emergency trip to the pharmacy.Not too shabby,it seems.Some stuff a bit near to expiry,but she will address that.Painkillers we are good for.I,personally see to that,as at any given time I have back problems.The last year has seen me with dental troubles too,and still ongoing ( why the government did not see dentistry as an essential part of the health system during the Pandemic.Let’s not go there...),so painkillers,mouthwash etc. are vital. We have all experienced minor health problems on a weekend or bank holiday,haven’t we?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Mine's not too bad - some of the aspirin/ paracetemol/ ibuprofen is a little bit out of date, because I bought such a stock when I first realised about the need. I also have quite a few stashes: the main stuff is a crate under the bed and a crate in the wardrobe. Then there's an over the shoulder bag on the back of my bedroom door - very lightweight, even I could carry that easily. There's a few packets of this that and the other in the bug out bag, and the holiday bag. And on my keychain, that took a week to assemble, there's one of those little twist-top containers that holds two aspirin, wrapped in clingfilm.

The thing I'm still missing is the burns stuff - I know there's a fierce debate at what's best, where do we currently stand on that?
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for that, Andy - nice and simple, and bound to be useful. I was thinking of the whole issue about dressings and maybe stopping bleeding too, but in reality the basics are well covered in that little set of documents.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

For small burns I have fallen in love with the "Faster Healing" plasters. Blister plasters are the same but cheaper. Both provide a "moist healing environment". I have used them now on several small burns and been astonished at how well they reduce pain and how quickly the damage heals.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:59 am

The thing I'm still missing is the burns stuff - I know there's a fierce debate at what's best, where do we currently stand on that?
Burn gell stuff is good especially if your away from running water and good for transportation to hospital after normal 20 mins of cool water for Keeping thermal burns cool clean and the air off the burn

the gell based dressings have made it into the bsi workplace kits now...

https://firstaidtrainingcooperative.co. ... sters/?amp