Quorn meat substitute

Medical and Healthcare
DeadStick

Re: Quorn meat substitute

Post by DeadStick »

Been a regular and frequent Quorn consumer for as long as I can remember (20 years?)
never had a problem with it, in fact if I stopped eating it id probably waste away :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

DeadStick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:50 pm Been a regular and frequent Quorn consumer for as long as I can remember (20 years?)
never had a problem with it, in fact if I stopped eating it id probably waste away :D
Good for you.

Tonight I went back to basics. Ate a rabbit I shot yesterday. A bit more like food. My wife has been beside herself that she encouraged me to eat something that made me so ill. If I had not been one of the group for whom the fermented mould was toxic,( fermented mould ,DEAR GOD!)then this thread would not have happened . Right now I am back to basics- meat and vegetables.

However, if Quorn is your thing, then you enjoy it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
DeadStick

Post by DeadStick »

It wasnt self congratulation, only mentioned my own experience as given the amount of the stuff sold I think your problem is not as widespread as the thread was implying
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Jansman, your story has prompted me to promise to never buy the stuff again! I do my Mum's shopping and she's partial to a quorn sausage roll, but I've stopped sticking them on her order. I explained why and she has agreed with me and doesn't feel hard done by. I've had mild stomach issues in the past when eating some meat substitutes, and it never occurred to me that it was an allergic reaction! I have some quorn chunks in the freezer that may go to my vegetarian cousin who loves quorn. Either that or the bin!
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

Really interesting, thanks for highlighting this!

Now, this is difficult as I've always thought of Quorn as one of the more viable meat substitutes - I'm not strictly veggie, but I'm trying to cut down on processed foods and (cheap) meat for environmental, animal welfare and health reasons... I'll have to go and see if I can find alternatives now.

I will admit to having quorn 'chicken nuggets' in the freezer for a very rare treat - don't judge! I think they'll stay on the menu as they're probably less cruel and equally processed as regular chicken nuggets :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

As a long-time vegetarian, I never, ever eat "meat substitutes" of any description. Here's a choice:

- if you're not allergic to wheat or gluten, I *highly* recommend seitan. It's a Japanese food, literally made of strands of wheat gluten. I can't eat it nowadays, but I remember how fantastic it tasted, and the texture is brilliant, like good steak melting off the bone. Not manufactured as such, even though it's made in a factory - it's wheat with everything but the gluten disappeared. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/se ... e%20starch.

- red kidney beans, soaked overnight, cooked briskly for 10 minutes and left in the slow cooker (for ages). Again, a really good texture.

- red bean curd. White bean curd is tofu, the most irritating and boring vegetarian food on the planet, but red ... oooh .... https://www.thespruceeats.com/red-bean-curd-p2-695268 It's fermented. I've only eaten it in restaurants, and it's kind of expensive, but blimey, it's gorgeous, or I remember it that way anyway.

- other beans are available. Including chick peas. This is useful https://www.eatthis.com/high-protein-beans/ An easy one-pot meal I make is to wash rice and green lentils together, cook them together, after 15 minutes throw in some washed red lentils which will disappear to make a natural thickener. Season as appropriate, and 5 minutes from the end, chuck in some frozen vegetables.

Nuts and seeds! Now that reasonably priced feta cheese from sheep and goat milk is so difficult to get hold of for me, I'm going to have to do more on this myself. I already use linseed, pumpkin seed and sunflower seeds in my porridge. If I want to be really quick, I soak cashew nuts for an hour, then cook them at the same time that I'm cooking a serving of pasta (again, throw in other veg of your choice) and put some chutney etc on them. But a simple nut roast is going to be the order of the day: onions, herbs, red lentils (disappearing into a thickener again) and any nuts: walnuts, brazils, hazel, whatever you fancy. Bash with the end of a rolling pin beforehand if that floats your boat. Something else to hold it all together, as well as the red lentils, may be called for – there's a million recipes on the interwebulator.

- couple of eggs per person, faff about with them as you wish :)

HTH
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm As a long-time vegetarian, I never, ever eat "meat substitutes" of any description. Here's a choice:

- if you're not allergic to wheat or gluten, I *highly* recommend seitan. It's a Japanese food, literally made of strands of wheat gluten. I can't eat it nowadays, but I remember how fantastic it tasted, and the texture is brilliant, like good steak melting off the bone. Not manufactured as such, even though it's made in a factory - it's wheat with everything but the gluten disappeared. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/se ... e%20starch.

- red kidney beans, soaked overnight, cooked briskly for 10 minutes and left in the slow cooker (for ages). Again, a really good texture.

- red bean curd. White bean curd is tofu, the most irritating and boring vegetarian food on the planet, but red ... oooh .... https://www.thespruceeats.com/red-bean-curd-p2-695268 It's fermented. I've only eaten it in restaurants, and it's kind of expensive, but blimey, it's gorgeous, or I remember it that way anyway.

- other beans are available. Including chick peas. This is useful https://www.eatthis.com/high-protein-beans/ An easy one-pot meal I make is to wash rice and green lentils together, cook them together, after 15 minutes throw in some washed red lentils which will disappear to make a natural thickener. Season as appropriate, and 5 minutes from the end, chuck in some frozen vegetables.

Nuts and seeds! Now that reasonably priced feta cheese from sheep and goat milk is so difficult to get hold of for me, I'm going to have to do more on this myself. I already use linseed, pumpkin seed and sunflower seeds in my porridge. If I want to be really quick, I soak cashew nuts for an hour, then cook them at the same time that I'm cooking a serving of pasta (again, throw in other veg of your choice) and put some chutney etc on them. But a simple nut roast is going to be the order of the day: onions, herbs, red lentils (disappearing into a thickener again) and any nuts: walnuts, brazils, hazel, whatever you fancy. Bash with the end of a rolling pin beforehand if that floats your boat. Something else to hold it all together, as well as the red lentils, may be called for – there's a million recipes on the interwebulator.

- couple of eggs per person, faff about with them as you wish :)

HTH
Now that all sounds a lot better!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

[/quote]

Good for you.

Tonight I went back to basics. Ate a rabbit I shot yesterday. A bit more like food. My wife has been beside herself that she encouraged me to eat something that made me so ill. If I had not been one of the group for whom the fermented mould was toxic,( fermented mould ,DEAR GOD!)then this thread would not have happened . Right now I am back to basics- meat and vegetables.

However, if Quorn is your thing, then you enjoy it.
[/quote]

thats something i may do early saturday morning havent had rabbit for a while so may knock one or two off with the air gun and pheasent is another the misses makes a lovely stew with cider in it anit had that in along time abit of food for thought as it where lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
korolev

Post by korolev »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm As a long-time vegetarian, I never, ever eat "meat substitutes" of any description.
What do you class as a "meat substitute" ?

Personally I absolutely love Linda McCartney's sausage rolls (make me a bit windy but hey ho) and Mozarella veggie burgers.

The thing I've not yet reconciled myself with is factory grown beef/pork/chicken where there has never been a live animal to be killed for me to enjoy it. I used to love roast beef and bacon sandwiches.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Just a personal definition, korolev, as my vegetarianism stems from all sorts of decision levels, I'd call a meat substitute something manufactured to be marketed as such: TVP, soy mince, quorn, others I probably don't know of. That's where I am now. I used to eat Linda McCartney sausages, they tasted good, but when I became allergic to wheat/gluten/ etc, I stopped. As I got to understand the industrial complex behind that level of production, I stopped buying into it. As I say, a personal decision: I'm a leftie vegetarian New Ager psychotherapist, surrounded by meat eaters, royalists and financiers. If I spoke my piece, I'd be banging my head against a lot, an awful lot, of closed doors. Not interested in doing that, in being a missionary for any of the niche positions I hold. Not since my twenties, which were a long time ago :mrgreen:

Can I check what you mean in your last sentence, "The thing I've not yet reconciled myself with is factory grown beef/pork/chicken where there has never been a live animal to be killed for me to enjoy it. I used to love roast beef and bacon sandwiches." ??? I didn't think that was a commercial proposition? I thought it was something that was the odd 100g for research purposes in labs! I may be way behind the times, it wouldn't surprise me in the least!