Quorn meat substitute

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Quorn meat substitute

Post by jansman »

I didn’t know quite where to put this folks. However,given my two experiences exactly one week apart,medical it is.

My wife is pretty much vegetarian. Therefore,I tend to eat what she does when I am home. She has used Quorn meat substitute for some time. Fine. Last week she made a curry using Quorn,and this was the first time I had eaten it.It was a very nice meal.Unfortunately,four hours later I was vomiting with a violence I have never known.My wife had picked a stomach bug up from school,and we put it down to that.I was so washed out though,I didn’t go to work the following day.

Last night my daughter came round and the three of us ate a lovely ‘chicken’ and mushroom pasta,the chicken being substituted with Quorn. I even went in for a second go! Sadly,again,four hours later I was vomiting violently.This went on for two hours,and I seriously wanted to die.Also,alarmingly,my tongue and throat also swelled- not to the point I would say it was anaphylactic shock- but there was a definite reaction. Right now my tongue and throat ‘ache’ if that makes sense? This morning, sorry to be graphic, I had diarrhoea.Awfully. Thankfully we carry medication,and that dealt with it.

I said to my wife,there has to be a link between my illness and eating Quorn.Boy,was I right! I did the most basic internet search and it threw up ( sorry for the unintended pun :lol: ) so many results,and what I was reading was exactly my experience! Here is a sample of the many,many places to read about this:

https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/ingr ... cern/quorn

Now I have not posted this to put anyone off this product,as it is obviously popular,and many people use it with no ill effects. However, if my account of my experience can make a new consumer of this aware that there CAN be a problem,it may save someone a whole lot of illness.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Quorn meat substitute

Post by pseudonym »

wow. :shock:

Glad your reactions were on the milder side.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've been a veggie for 30+ years. My Mrs has been since we got together in 93.
She is allergic to quorn too. Her's started when she was pregnant with our son; about 4 hours after eating it she gets terrible stomach ache and diarrhea.
I think it's quite well documented that the myco proteinquorn is made from can cause allergies.
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:08 pm I've been a veggie for 30+ years. My Mrs has been since we got together in 93.
She is allergic to quorn too. Her's started when she was pregnant with our son; about 4 hours after eating it she gets terrible stomach ache and diarrhea.
I think it's quite well documented that the myco proteinquorn is made from can cause allergies.
NOW I know it is well documented.It would appear though that it doesn’t have to appear on allergy lists.That particular issue is something I have to deal with in my work,and Quorn isn’t on the radar. The official Quorn blurb goes like this:

https://www.quorn.co.uk/intolerance

Given the experience of myself,Korolevs wife and many ,many others,the above is a typical corporate - sanitised statement. Anyhow,Mrs J has turfed out the remaining Quorn from the freezer.

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Interesting! I've never been tempted to try Quorn TBH but this would make me even less likely to try it!
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Is not heard this before. Interesting. I do like Quorn. Soaks up sauce flavours really well.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm like Bosworth - not heard of this, and I used to like it. I still like some types (the mince has always been disgusting to my taste) like the fillets, chicken pieces and sausages. But when I realised how industrially based it is, I stopped eating it.

So sorry to hear you've suffered through this, jansman! It's such a highly processed food - I'm glad I've stayed away from it :(
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:36 pm I'm like Bosworth - not heard of this, and I used to like it. I still like some types (the mince has always been disgusting to my taste) like the fillets, chicken pieces and sausages. But when I realised how industrially based it is, I stopped eating it.

So sorry to hear you've suffered through this, jansman! It's such a highly processed food - I'm glad I've stayed away from it :(
I am amazed I was so naive. I spent a little time looking into it,and it’s manufacture,and frankly,it’s no wonder I threw it up! Highly processed is an understatement IMHO. Anyway,right now my system is purged and I feel a lot better.A lot. Just gonna have a brew,get on the road to work,and about seven o’clock I’ll have a damned good fry up before customers start piling in. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Hope you are now feeling fully recovered Jansman.
That was quite a drastic reaction and sounds as if it might be getting worse with each exposure so take care when eating out.
We had to quit the Quorn after we realised it was full of egg and most variants also had gluten. It is a real pain if you are allergic to something that is not in the handful of common allergens covered by law.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 pm Hope you are now feeling fully recovered Jansman.
That was quite a drastic reaction and sounds as if it might be getting worse with each exposure so take care when eating out.
We had to quit the Quorn after we realised it was full of egg and most variants also had gluten. It is a real pain if you are allergic to something that is not in the handful of common allergens covered by law.
Thank you.You know,I had only two exposures,but your observation is correct.My second experience was certainly worse than the first.Eating out is easy for us.When we can, we eat in only two places,as my wife is lactose intolerant.The managers there are used to this. I feel well now, and I won’t go there again. However,I now realise that I have a food intolerance...if you can call such a product food?

Robert Frost.

Me.