Who's getting the vaccine

Medical and Healthcare
Lemne

Who's getting the vaccine

Post by Lemne »

I'm a bit piddled off today as my next door neighbour has just texted me to say she is having her vaccine tomorrow. She is 50's like me and whilst she works as a benefits councillor she works 100% from home and always has done. She used to go to the office one day a week but doesn't anymore and works over the phone so no client visits. I can't understand why she has been prioritised. I'm sat here with type 2 diabetes and two autoimmune conditions. I haven't left the house other than to walk the dogs since Christmas which is my choice and I am quite happy to wait my turn but this has chuffed me right off!
Le Mouse

Re: Who's getting the vaccine

Post by Le Mouse »

Lemne wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:13 pm I'm a bit piddled off today as my next door neighbour has just texted me to say she is having her vaccine tomorrow. She is 50's like me and whilst she works as a benefits councillor she works 100% from home and always has done. She used to go to the office one day a week but doesn't anymore and works over the phone so no client visits. I can't understand why she has been prioritised. I'm sat here with type 2 diabetes and two autoimmune conditions. I haven't left the house other than to walk the dogs since Christmas which is my choice and I am quite happy to wait my turn but this has chuffed me right off!
I understand your chuffed-off-ness. I'm 42, but on the shielding list so as far as I can see, should be in this first batch that is meant to get vaccinated within the next two weeks. I've heard from friends with no health issues and slightly spurious work related priority getting the jab (working for the NHS, but no 'client' contact as it were, often working from home) and I've not heard a sausage! Like you I am happy to wait - especially as there seems to be some confusion about where severe asthma fits in the priority list. But it does rankle when people seem to be 'jumping the queue'. I think I'm just impatient with lockdown to be honest.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I was honestly under the impression that the only people being vaccinated were the over 80's at the moment.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:43 pm I was honestly under the impression that the only people being vaccinated were the over 80's at the moment.
In my area (NW) over 70s are invited to book appointments. I was told by a pharmacist, that over 70s can turn up without appointments in one large local vaccination centre, to save wastage.
Though groups are nominally 5 year age groups, they seem to be operating in overlapping pairs. E.g. I'm hoping 60-65 will run alongside 65-70, simultaneously.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Lemne wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:43 pm I was honestly under the impression that the only people being vaccinated were the over 80's at the moment.
I’m in the North West.
Over 80’s well under way, over 70’s are now being called for (I know 2 over 70’s booked in for next week)
My mother in law is late 60’s (technically shielding due to type 2 diabetes) and is booked in next week.
I’m 43, I haven’t decided 100% if I’m having the vaccine yet, it will be a long time before I’m offered it anyway, I’m happy to wait and let others have theirs first.

I know a lot of people have been vaccinated by attending clinics at the end of the day to make use of leftover doses.

It’s always worth calling your doctor if you think you should be prioritised, they do have a habit of “forgetting” people, I blame the computer system.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

This is where I'm confused. The gov.uk website includes people who are extremely clinically vulnerable in there too, ie, those who are shielding. Perhaps I'm being a bear of little brain about this.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

The Green Man wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 pm I know a lot of people have been vaccinated by attending clinics at the end of the day to make use of leftover doses.

It’s always worth calling your doctor if you think you should be prioritised, they do have a habit of “forgetting” people, I blame the computer system.
Have you heard of any younger folk, not in priority groups, getting one of those leftovers?

I was at the pharmacy, picking up a prescription, at about 4pm when asked my age (cheeky mare :)) and told that if I knew anyone over 70, to direct them to go to the centre that the pharmacy was operating, to say 'The pharmacy sent me'
I might spend more time lurking in pharmacies, maybe pop in for a box of paracetomol every day at nearly closing time ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639
AstraZeneca boss wrote:All over-50s will have Covid vaccine by March thanks to UK’s head start on jabs roll out
Yayyyyy ! :D :D :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vaccination Envy! It is now a ‘thing’ it would seem.I don’t give a sh*t, even though I am late 50s, asthmatic and a Key/ Critical Worker. We all think we are more important than everyone else. We will get The Jab when we get it.It is what it is.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:30 pm
Have you heard of any younger folk, not in priority groups, getting one of those leftovers?

I know that health professionals who are administering vaccines are calling their family members in the evenings advising them to get to the vaccination centres to get the leftovers, all different ages.
I would rather someone regardless of age receive a vaccine than it end up in a bin.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:20 pm Vaccination Envy! It is now a ‘thing’ it would seem.I don’t give a sh*t, even though I am late 50s, asthmatic and a Key/ Critical Worker. We all think we are more important than everyone else. We will get The Jab when we get it.It is what it is.
It's not vaccination envy at all don't be ridiculous!! There is a clear path laid out by the Government. 80's, then 70's, then extreme high risk followed by high risk which is me. I cannot see how a perfectly health 51 year old who works from home should be getting a vaccine before somebody who is shielding at home in the extreme high risk group which is not me. I'm happy to wait my turn and if I was in the same situation as my neighbour I would have turned it down. I would be ashamed to take a vaccine before somebody who needed it more than me.