Who's getting the vaccine

Medical and Healthcare
jennyjj01

Re: Who's getting the vaccine

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:30 pm Have you heard of any younger folk, not in priority groups, getting one of those leftovers?
The Green Man wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:55 pm I know that health professionals who are administering vaccines are calling their family members in the evenings advising them to get to the vaccination centres to get the leftovers, all different ages.
Cheeky
I would rather someone regardless of age receive a vaccine than it end up in a bin.
I agree. Ideally, each vaccine centre would have a standby list from a group of appropriate recipients. But no waste, please. Everyone jabbed is a person less likely to infect me.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:20 pm Vaccination Envy! It is now a ‘thing’ it would seem.I don’t give a sh*t, even though I am late 50s, asthmatic and a Key/ Critical Worker. We all think we are more important than everyone else. We will get The Jab when we get it.It is what it is.
It's not vaccination envy at all don't be ridiculous!! There is a clear path laid out by the Government. 80's, then 70's, then extreme high risk followed by high risk which is me. I cannot see how a perfectly health 51 year old who works from home should be getting a vaccine before somebody who is shielding at home in the extreme high risk group which is not me. I'm happy to wait my turn and if I was in the same situation as my neighbour I would have turned it down. I would be ashamed to take a vaccine before somebody who needed it more than me.
Back in the 80’s, a mate of mine told our group of friends he had a place in the regional nuclear fallout out shelter at County Hall. My friend’s little girl said “Why would they want to save a tax inspector.” Which brought a round of laughter!

Your neighbour is a Benefit Advisor? To use an Americanism; Go figure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Both my parents and my in-laws have been vaccinated, 2 fall into the over 80s group and 2 into the ECV group. I was vaccinated last week (key worker) but my boss pranced into the office (wfh) and announced that she had managed to get us on the list and that we should book. The rebellious teenager in me refused (in my head) because manager had told me I had to go and I would go in my own time and for my own reasons. I still had reservations too, maybe I just watch too many zombie films!! A bit daft, but I booked and went. Have to say the whole operation ran like clockwork and the staff were lovely. No side effects at all, not even an aching arm once I had words with myself and was doing it for my family and not because I was being told to have it. I do actually feel lucky to have been given it so soon and wasnt really expecting it just yet.
Growing old disgracefully!
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Just an update locally, NW England, my parents (mid sixties, no underlying health issues) are both receiving their first jabs tomorrow Thursday 11th Feb.
They were contacted by their GP.

Looks like they are well ahead of schedule with the vaccine rollout.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
hobo

Post by hobo »

2 friends, Blackheath, both just turned 60, no underlying health problems, had theirs last week. Hoping for mine within 6 weeks.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I'm getting mine on Saturday (I'm in priority group 4) and my 67 year old mum is getting hers 5 minutes after me as locally they are now inviting the over-65s. Both of us contacted by GP, separate surgeries, but having it at the same clinic.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Just booked mine after getting a text invite, followed it up straight away. Saturday morning, at our disused community centre, which is ten minutes walk from my house, thankfully. Priority Group 5.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Dr's phoned on the 1st for me to go and have jab 1 on the 2nd I'll be 60 in about 3 weeks and have CML apparently the drugs make my immune system weeker, 3-12 weeks until jab 2 though, some time after that till you are "fully" protected, playing with numbers at 90% effective, that's 1 in 10 chance of getting it is it not?
I'm with Jansman on this there are variations caused by supply and take up, each area right down to your doctors are working down a list to keep the process moving as fast as they can, me getting it doesn't protect the rest of the family, I can as all along accidentally carry it home from the supermarket and infect the other 4 vulnerable people of various ages from 50 down to 21, numbers are strange when you can say Russian roulette depending on the revolver is 5-1 against dying with every go, it is the NHS they are trying to relieve, don't go thinking the government gives a crap about old or disabled dying, if every one of the 100000 dead are on a pension HMG are now £7.5M ( guessing they get £75 a week) a week better off, that's more than we were allegedly going to save with brexit ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom, sorry to hear you have CML, I didn't know anything about the condition, I've just been reading the NHS page about it :(

As I said in the previous post, I'll be getting my vaccine tomorrow, no conditions (they don't count chronic fatigue) it's just down to age.

I agree with your assessment about the numbers: there's almost a hysteria about it right now, and 80-90% protection from what's often a life-threatening and/or life changing disease still isn't 100%, so safeguards will be needed.

Interesting you say about the government saving money if the oldies die, it's the NHS they're really concerned about! I tend to agree, more or less (lot of deletion went on here, it would be useless and against rules to go into politics). I've got my own rules on my safety, which are much stricter than the government's, and I keep an eye on the local infection rate too.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am Plymtom, sorry to hear you have CML, I didn't know anything about the condition, I've just been reading the NHS page about it :(

As I said in the previous post, I'll be getting my vaccine tomorrow, no conditions (they don't count chronic fatigue) it's just down to age.

I agree with your assessment about the numbers: there's almost a hysteria about it right now, and 80-90% protection from what's often a life-threatening and/or life changing disease still isn't 100%, so safeguards will be needed.

Interesting you say about the government saving money if the oldies die, it's the NHS they're really concerned about! I tend to agree, more or less (lot of deletion went on here, it would be useless and against rules to go into politics). I've got my own rules on my safety, which are much stricter than the government's, and I keep an eye on the local infection rate too.
No worriess about the CML, a tablet a day and asides from a possibly weak immune system I prefer it to CFS :) ( the other 4 members of family have EDS which Chronic fatigue is part of indeed misdiagnosed as CFS for more than a decade).

Speaking of CFS a visiting optician who had had covid said he gets bouts of extreme fatigue, rumour is there are many who do who could well now need benefit support for the rest of their lives.

Jab wise my wife is allergic to penicillin - that is an issue also I don't know if they refuse to do it or, have a medic ( or a body bag) standing by.

Yes sorry about the political association but in this case they all (*^s in the same pot, not a fag paper between them ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.