Remove packets or not

Medical and Healthcare
Lemne

Remove packets or not

Post by Lemne »

I'm stocking up on OTC meds at the mo. Am getting a supply to put in my go bag. My instincts are to remove the boxes to free up some space. How do you pack your medical kit?
Arzosah

Re: Remove packets or not

Post by Arzosah »

The cardboard packs that contain paracetemol etc seem to be quite empty - I double them up, and recycle the other cardboad bit. I don't take the pills out of the sealed plastic because it looks really secure long term to me - I like to keep a lot in stock, but I don't use that much myself.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Beware the foil on the blisters soon rip and pop

Keeping them In the original packaging would save grief if ever stopped by the police....

If you've got a label printer or an engraving scribe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-Waterproo ... Swoj9bG0zs
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I've done this in my small first aid kit in my webbing.

I take them out the cardboard, then cut out strips of green fabric tape and lay them on top of the pill with a slight over hang off the edge for peeling.

On the tape I then write the drug, dosage and use on top.

Tape keeps pills in place and when left on for a while peels the foil of as well. The tape can be torn easily so theres always enough to start peeling but not too much to snag.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Captain Darling wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm I've done this in my small first aid kit in my webbing.

I take them out the cardboard, then cut out strips of green fabric tape and lay them on top of the pill with a slight over hang off the edge for peeling.

On the tape I then write the drug, dosage and use on top.

Tape keeps pills in place and when left on for a while peels the foil of as well. The tape can be torn easily so theres always enough to start peeling but not too much to snag.
This would work for me. Thanks
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

then cut out strips of green fabric tape and lay them on top of the pill with a slight over hang off the edge for peeling.
Which fabric tape did you use ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

What Yorkshire Andy said about saving grief if Plod ever had reason to check you out is a very good point.It happens.

Another reason for NOT removing original packaging,is so that there is positive identification/ instructions with the medication.That can save REAL grief,by avoiding the situation of someone taking the wrong medicine/ too much etc. Its a health and safety rule that potentially harmful chemicals etc. be stored in original containers.Commonsense.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've taken them out of the packaging and are going to use the tape on the back. I've cut the back of the packets containing the info out and packed them flat.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I carry quite a few pills (all OTC meds) in my EDC, take them out of the cardboard packet and keep the foil packed pills wrapped in the paperwork which comes with them. They are all in a ziplock bag to keep them dry. Mostly in case I ever get stopped and searched but also for reference. Nearly had an incident on holiday a few weeks ago where husband took Ibuprofen without checking the dose and had a few words about never presuming how many he should take and to check first and these were in the original packet.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:46 pm I carry quite a few pills (all OTC meds) in my EDC, take them out of the cardboard packet and keep the foil packed pills wrapped in the paperwork which comes with them. They are all in a ziplock bag to keep them dry. Mostly in case I ever get stopped and searched but also for reference. Nearly had an incident on holiday a few weeks ago where husband took Ibuprofen without checking the dose and had a few words about never presuming how many he should take and to check first and these were in the original packet.
Refer ro my previous post on this thread.At work on Saturday,some bright spark didn't read the label on a cleaning chemical container. " Well, it was the same colour bottle as the floor cleaner" said the offender. It was a caustic drain cleaner we butchers use to keep fat deposits at bay in our drainage system. Added to the very effective floor cleaner,which someone had already added to the water,it gave off one of the most toxic vapours I have witnessed.I picked the mop bucket up,slung it out of the door,and got a big industrial fan we use in the bakery to blow it through.It made a few eyes water! That situation is covered by COSSH.Control Of Substances Hazardous To Health. Original containers,proper labelling.

If Medusa's husband took some pills from a properly labelled packet,without consulting instructions,then it's a real bad idea to do away with them in the first place! An old boss of mine used to say, " Bad ink is better than a bad memory.' So true. Never assume anything.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -medicines
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.