Assessing your risk

Medical and Healthcare
Appin

Assessing your risk

Post by Appin »

Dear all,

Not sure if this has already been posted but it is useful.

ALAMA is the Association of Local Authority Medical Advisors. They have developed a way looking a an individuals risk of serious Covid.

Basically you add or subtract from your age using a list of risk factors such as sex ethnicity and health problems. Your "new" age can then be looked up on a list to get an idea of how likely you are to get serious covid illness. it is aimed at judging who can go back to work safely but it also gives you a personalised risk assessment. The recent fuss about locking down the over 50s was meant to be linked to a risk assessment as for most the risk is small.

I am a 57 yr old type two diabetic giving a covid age about 61 so my risk adds up to about a 1% risk of dying if I get it.

https://alama.org.uk/covid-19-medical-risk-assessment/
Le Mouse

Re: Assessing your risk

Post by Le Mouse »

That's really interesting. I was shielded because of severe asthma, but that was because my inhaler dosage was massive, not because I was taking oral steroids. As such according to that list my risk works out as low, quite a lot less than 1%. Huh. Kind of reassuring, if annoying that I spent all that time under house arrest feeling scared to go out.
Appin

Re: Assessing your risk

Post by Appin »

The risk rating is meant for deciding if you could go to work in combination with an occupational health physician assessment so it is only an estimate.

For what its worth I would still avoid people. (Asthmatic children so I am cautious).

Appin