Home Medical/Brexit Kit list

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Re: Home Medical/Brexit Kit list

Post by jansman »

Appin wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:59 pm Just a thought on the how far do you go / whats the point in a Pulse oximeter discussion.

Even in current times being able to give more information to the amulance service if you call them will help.

It is becoming well recognised that some people with Covid have very low oxygen levels but still seem ok. A pulse ox allows early recognition before the patient gets too sick.

So if you call ambulance and say "my spouse has a cough and is short of breath", they will deal with you but you will not be top priority.

Call and say he is not well and has sats of only 80% they will react far more. ( Normal is 94 - 98%).

Equally you may feel not too bad but if your pulse ox shows sats of 80% you need to be assessed.

It's the same as the difference between saying "my kid feels hot" and "my kid has a temperature of 39.5". The first is an opinion the second is a fact. Often with ambulance or GP/ hospital exactly what you say matters. Likewise at a road crash, Two people are hurt is OK but add "one is unconscious and I can see blood spurting out of their leg" it moves up the priority scale.

Generally I reckon it a bit like sorcery, you have to know the right incantation but if you do, you get a reaction.

Appin
I agree with the temperature thing.I can remember quoting a temperature to a doctor at one o'clock on a cold January morning 25 years ago,when our eldest went into a febrile fit... But I digress.

I was fishing today at my favourite lake complex. A couple of nice old boys were about a 10 yards to my left.As each of us bent into big fish ,we had a bit of banter.Then the two old chaps stopped for a bite to eat,and the inevitable happened; one choked.I knew the signs,hells bells,I have choked twice. Sprinted over,thump between the shoulder blades...once,twice,thrice.At that point I told his mate to ring 999 - NOW! I thumped his back once more,and went into abdominal thrusts. Emergency Services answered ,and I told the fella to bang it on loudspeaker.By this time I have done two thrusts,three then four.Operater speaks and I tell them to get here ASAP,as now this guy is going blue, and I am seconds from chest compressions.The operator got it,as I basically said" this guy needs more help than I can give". One more thrust ,and up came his cheese sandwich! Thank the Lord! I have never been so relieved to hear a man gasp in a breath!

Fortunately,there is an ambulance station very close by.A medic was with us in five minutes,and that amazed me! The medic said that my first aid training had saved my angling friend's life - and it should be basic knowledge.And it should.

My point? Knowledge and skills always trump equipment.Equipment can be a force multiplier- but only if you know how to use it.

Happy ending to the tale. My new friend owns a rather large farm nearby.When we got talking,we found a mutual interest in shooting,as well as fishing.I now have an invite to shoot over rather a large acerage anytime I want!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well done you!
Erm, I just googled "how to avoid choking on food", my bad, and there's a *lot* of advice out there :? :lol: :mrgreen: Not about kit, just eating habits.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm Well done you!
Erm, I just googled "how to avoid choking on food", my bad, and there's a *lot* of advice out there :? :lol: :mrgreen: Not about kit, just eating habits.
Like " not talking when you are eating" said my wife,after it happened to me a few weeks ago! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

For choking if you are on your own, this one has always stuck with me. I hope I never need it.

https://youtu.be/Iz8M0UTkvSU
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 am
Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm Well done you!
Like " not talking when you are eating" said my wife,after it happened to me a few weeks ago! :lol:
Erm, yes :mrgreen: smaller mouthfuls, keeping water on hand, all that biz :mrgreen:

Lemne, thanks for the youtube linkie, I'll check that out later :)