Public access major bleed kits

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

Public access major bleed kits

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Apparently these are popping up in many places based on a charitable mission by a family of a stabbed chap who died of his injuries

https://controlthebleed.org.uk/

Bit like the public aed kits these are in some areas in accessable buildings etc

How to use the kit In the bag;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmt5E8b1lg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Re: Public access major bleed kits

Post by Arzosah »

That's a really good idea - I've bookmarked both links, thanks for that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting. In the article for the foundation, first aid training is mentioned ( campaigning for).I feel that first aid training should be on the school curriculum, as does my wife. Schools teach an awfully large amount of useless ****, and first aid is up there with many other practical subjects that would make more sense to teach. My wife is a teacher btw, before anyone says owt. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And it's hit the media again....

https://news.sky.com/story/military-gra ... InhBASBZEA

Was mildly amusing watching the BBC breakfast this morning and the sja paramedic fumbling with a
cat Tourniquet

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Good to see the advancements in trauma kits from when I was a Team Medic in the 90's.

Time to update certain items. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:21 pm Good to see the advancements in trauma kits from when I was a Team Medic in the 90's.

Time to update certain items. :)

Supprised the kits don't contain celox z fold gauze

My favourite trauma dressings are the oales modular bandage for versatility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3J9s69UZsE

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I'd like to see included in the mandatory first aid training in all schools a focus on bleed control, application of pressure on wounds etc. You don't need the likes of Celox really for everyday use, research has shown direct pressure is just as good, certainly for the time it takes for medics to arrive so teach them to use whats available and if you have a pucker dressing use it but really push home that you can use all sorts and not just designer dressings, emphasise training on using pressure.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

rik_uk3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:47 pm I'd like to see included in the mandatory first aid training in all schools a focus on bleed control, application of pressure on wounds etc. You don't need the likes of Celox really for everyday use, research has shown direct pressure is just as good, certainly for the time it takes for medics to arrive so teach them to use whats available and if you have a pucker dressing use it but really push home that you can use all sorts and not just designer dressings, emphasise training on using pressure.
Exactly. Training teaches the skill,and also improvisation until the professional medics get there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:47 pm I'd like to see included in the mandatory first aid training in all schools a focus on bleed control, application of pressure on wounds etc. You don't need the likes of Celox really for everyday use, research has shown direct pressure is just as good, certainly for the time it takes for medics to arrive so teach them to use whats available and if you have a pucker dressing use it but really push home that you can use all sorts and not just designer dressings, emphasise training on using pressure.

True a folded cotton t shirt/ tea towel and a knee can provide a pad and lots of pressure ;)

On my stag do my dad fell and nutted a wall he's on blood thinners .. few napkins and me applying a 10 minute by the clock pressure soon staunched the leak

Problem is by throwing a first aid kit into a panic situation it soon generates chaos....

You've just got to sit through several first aid courses I was on a refresher about 6 years ago it was a shock how little basic knowledge some had retained ok I'll never confess to be the best but it was frightening how little some remembered in a class room setting in the cusp of 3 years from the last Couse... We get yearly refresher training based on the level of risks Vs severity in our industry plus the full 3 yearly refresher

The basic first aid dressings even after a couple of goes end up been dropped / unraveling all over the training centre floor .. and that's in a calm often comedy situations as everyone ends up looking like a Egyptian mummy... But you can't quickly apply a unwrapped dressing

Most of the trauma dressings have velcro "brakes" to stop the dressing unwrapping itself and hold it tight once wrapped which in a stress situation makes life easy ;)

But many have no idea about basic first aid as above apparently little miss has a afternoon of it tomorrow so I'll see what she's learned tomorrow

We've included the contents of the critical bleed kits into the first aid kits in the factory as in a saw mill machines and sharp blades can cause catastrophic injuries ..

There was one just down the road recently which if the bush telegraph is correct was a total amputation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hullda ... 995246.amp

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

As part of my outdoor first aid for my forest school training we did catastrophic bleeds and were shown how to use an Israeli bandage and talked through tourniquets . As you can use knives and axes etc in forest school, I have bought an Israeli dressing for my first aid kit now. I have been shown, and if I absolutely had to, I feel I can now use a tourniquet - not that I have bought one as atm any forest school session I do is with 2-5 year olds who aren't going to be wielding axes and knives :lol: (potato peelers maybe!)
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:27 pm
True a folded cotton t shirt/ tea towel and a knee can provide a pad and lots of pressure ;)
Yup, a lot of folks are afraid to "put the knee in" but pressure is vital. As I have said before, first aid is all about being familiar with stuff. I still think it's bonkers that a first aid certificate is a 3 year thing with no refreshers. I mean half of us only apply the odd plaster and never practice first aid in the workplace much. That was one of the reasons I joined st John ambulance for a bit. To keep on top of it all more regularly. Not that I have been with them for a number of years now. Probably ought to try to join up again really.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)