How many times can you use a disposable FFP3 mask?

Medical and Healthcare
nightowl

How many times can you use a disposable FFP3 mask?

Post by nightowl »

Is there any official advice? I've probably used mine for about an hour maximum each week since the lockdown started. I know I've read that under the present circumstances it's understandable if people use them a few times but wondering how much is too much?
jennyjj01

Re: How many times can you use a disposable FFP3 mask?

Post by jennyjj01 »

nightowl wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm Is there any official advice? I've probably used mine for about an hour maximum each week since the lockdown started. I know I've read that under the present circumstances it's understandable if people use them a few times but wondering how much is too much?
I've only used one of mine (ffp3) at an hour per week when I do the grocery shop. It gets a mist of pure alcohol inside and out after use and then sits in my car for 6 days. Inspected carefully each time and I test the seal by listening for the valve click.

I wouldn't want to rely on anything less than ffp2, but I'm not so paranoid as to wear biohazard suit and swim goggles.

No real evidence that my way is safe, but I'm satisfied that it suitably protects others and myself pretty well.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Generally good for an 8 hour shift

I've got 4 on the go in rotation in the boot by the time I get back to the first mask it's been over a week sat there
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

I usually usually wear mine for 3 3hour shifts. Then get rid, saying that my shifts are down to 2 a week now since one client died from it.

There's loads of work but the old ticker decides how much I can work.
jimmythejoker123

Post by jimmythejoker123 »

Depends, really. If you're not wearing it very long during the day, maybe a few times would be fine (plus they get *very* expensive if you're buying the certified ones). I have to wear mine all day at work so the company provides the masks. Hence, we get a new one every day.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

In a Pandemic, there is no such thing as single use.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Or.......
Does reusing single use ppe contribute to the risk of contracting an infection?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm Or.......
Does reusing single use ppe contribute to the risk of contracting an infection?
I wouldn't want to keep wearing some of these fashion accessory face masks for more than a day without machine washing. Nor would I even consider using a paper disposable one for anything more than a dash into an empty screwfix to buy some proper ones.
There doesn't seem much evidence that Covid will 'survive' long on the surface of a mask, so I'm still confidently re-using mine to oblivion, but rotating 3 and having several days between re-uses. Still misting in and out with alcohol after use and treating the outside as potentially tainted.
One risk I have observed is folk (OK. Family elder) putting on a used paper mask inside out. That strikes me as pretty risky.
Also. I keep my used masks in in a ziplock bag: Never loose in pocket or purse.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

If you're using a mask with an outlet valve then you might as well not bother. The purpose of facemasks is to stop YOUR stream of potentially virus-laden moisture droplets from entering the atmosphere, not to prevent you breathing it in. If you're really concerned about proper facemask use, then use one without a valve (obvs not talking about ppl who need them for work-related situations).
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is an old thread! But still relevant. I mentioned on here about buying some N95 masks - went on to Amazon just now, and I find they're actually FFP2. Mentioned it all to my sister this morning - she already has 40 x N95 masks. I'm not the only prepper in the family :lol:

I'll get some of those, of course, but I also want some FFP3. I can see valved and unvalved online - does anybody have any recommendations about that? Or a known and trusted supplier?