First aid training

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

First aid training

Post by jansman »

I’ve said it before. Get it!

Tonight I choked. Tried to cough it up, as per training. Went to my knees, slapped my back, and Mrs J knew what I meant,as she is trained too. Two punches between the shoulder blades, and up it came! Close one that.

Neighbour in the house next door heard the commotion ( we are terraced) and was ready to 999! Brilliant!

If you ain’t got training, get it. Whatever it costs, it is gold!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: First aid training

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Now you know how hard she can hit don't pee Jan off :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:01 pm Now you know how hard she can hit don't pee Jan off :mrgreen:
Must admit, I can feel it this morning! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:00 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:01 pm Now you know how hard she can hit don't pee Jan off :mrgreen:
Must admit, I can feel it this morning! :lol:
Good..... Not being able to feel it would be worse.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very true.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We had a shake up at work last summer increased our first aiders from me .. to me plus 3 others :D

Yesterday whilst in that feck it it's Friday mood after a week of graft bloke enters my work area.... "Andy "bobs" not feeling well he's in the canteen will you go take a look at him "... Donned my respirator (thinking to wind him up re covid )

Got there realised it was rather more serious usually fit healthy mid 50 yo guy was sat taking deep breaths, pain in his chest and arm . Flushed face sweating but cold clammy hands ...

Straight to 112 on the phone....

He was in the relative quiet of our canteen so started with the bed side manner to put his mind at ease (read ripping the urine out of him the other staff members and taking his mind off the situation best we could )

Sent a runner to the office for an avengers assemble 2x more first aiders appeared (4 th was the patient) with site AED in hand and green box...

Got him wrapped up in tin foil, coats and a blanket god knows what the woman at the ambulance control made of our banter but it kept him alert and gave us a good chance to keep an eye on his consciousness level :lol:

With 2 assistants who are the same level as me I went and cleared vehicles from the site entrance as the office manager is a first aider so goods in and out was in chaos as no one was opening the barriers so I cleared the backlog and put a trustworthy member of staff in charge of the main gate to keep it clear one lorry driver initially refused to move as his tacco was on break once I explained what was going on his face dropped and he moved immediately

Placing 2 more members of staff to act as human semaphore signals for the ambulance crew (anyone ever seen someone waving down a emergency vehicle will understand what I'm saying)

Turns out the chaps going to be ok so all's well that ends well...

Debrief:

What's the post code of the emergency:

I took the liberty a few years back of writing the firm's
postal code
O/S grid 6 figure grid
And what 3 words location on the back of each first aid kit and AED case in market pen /dynamo label

In the heat of the moment I couldn't remember it quick glance I had it in front of me and was able to reel it off

We had bullied the MD into buying a AED for site last summer (if you can get your workplace h&s bod or MD to buy one (saves death in service pay out boss ;) )

We need some asprin in my desk draw or sat on top of the AED case so on the advice of 999 control we can pass a tablet to the casualty to take themselves we had none to hand...

Appin

Post by Appin »

Hi any ,

Sounds like an interesting situation well handled. I know what you mean about getting people to direct incoming support.

One suggestion. Don't use a "space blanket". They don't mix well with defibs. Better now as they are mylar on both sides with the metal in the middle so in theory they should not conduct but....

I personallly know a doc who defibbed someone on a space blanket. It had been pushed out of the way so they did not see it and the patient was still on it. The flash was quite impressive apparently.

More familiar with defibs than I care to admit. Aware of many mishaps over the years some funny, some not. The jerk of the patients arms from the shock can be powerful and in one case the hand jerked up and smacked the doc giving the shock right in the family jewels.

For everyone else on the forum please remember anyone can use an automatic defib you do not need training just follow the instructions. If needed ambulance control will talk you through it. The most vital thing is make sure no one is touching the patient ( or is in electrical contact with the patient) when you deliver the shock.

https://www.resus.org.uk/defibrillators ... se-an-aed/

https://www.resus.org.uk/publications/a-guide-to-aeds/

Appin
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Appin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 pm Hi any ,

Sounds like an interesting situation well handled. I know what you mean about getting people to direct incoming support.

One suggestion. Don't use a "space blanket". They don't mix well with defibs. Better now as they are mylar on both sides with the metal in the middle so in theory they should not conduct but....

I personallly know a doc who defibbed someone on a space blanket. It had been pushed out of the way so they did not see it and the patient was still on it. The flash was quite impressive apparently.

More familiar with defibs than I care to admit. Aware of many mishaps over the years some funny, some not. The jerk of the patients arms from the shock can be powerful and in one case the hand jerked up and smacked the doc giving the shock right in the family jewels.

For everyone else on the forum please remember anyone can use an automatic defib you do not need training just follow the instructions. If needed ambulance control will talk you through it. The most vital thing is make sure no one is touching the patient ( or is in electrical contact with the patient) when you deliver the shock.

https://www.resus.org.uk/defibrillators ... se-an-aed/

https://www.resus.org.uk/publications/a-guide-to-aeds/

Appin
Cheers

He was sat in a chair so wrapped over his shoulders, don't think the operator was overly happy about it but he was comfortable Vs stressing him moving him to the floor and sitting him with his knees raised ..

Defib was not used or opened but within arm's reach but not sat within eyes gaze of the casualty there was joking about shaving his chest and how we'd get the lady from the office to do it James bond style ;)

We was never warned about the oven ready chicken blanket apparently GNT patches can be rather exciting however

Appin

Post by Appin »

GTN patches are getting rarer thank heavens but yup shocked one and got away with it. Problem is they make the things flesh coloured so they don't show up!

For those who want to get the risk in perspective if I call GTN (glyceryl trinitrate) by its old name nitroglycerine! Just think of all the old westerns. Dynamite is basically nitroglycerine absorbed into something such as a clay to make it stable. GTN patch uses a gel to keep it stable. Dont throw any medical GTN product on a fire. The results are ......... predictable
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:53 pm I’ve said it before. Get it!

Tonight I choked. Tried to cough it up, as per training. Went to my knees, slapped my back, and Mrs J knew what I meant,as she is trained too. Two punches between the shoulder blades, and up it came! Close one that.

Neighbour in the house next door heard the commotion ( we are terraced) and was ready to 999! Brilliant!

If you ain’t got training, get it. Whatever it costs, it is gold!

Just see this:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... ke-4224064