First aid training

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Re: First aid training

Post by jansman »

What a sad tale.

My first aid trainer, ex army , very matter- of- fact bloke, told us of an incident with a colleague of his. He choked, alone, on a boiled sweet, while out on a walk. He basically threw himself onto the seat head rest in his van to simulate abdominal thrusts. He lived. Choking is something that easily happens.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wife came across a little old lady laid in our street on the way to work this morning... Unconscious not breathing..

Someone had already called her an ambulance and it's going to be 40 minutes........ Guessing they described it as a old lady has fallen and not done a decent primary survey and not recognised the lack of breathing

Well the wife rung explained she was on the chest compressions

By the time the ambulance arrived (less than 5 minutes) she had got her back breathing and semi conscious.... In the recovery position wrapped up to keep her warm
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:01 pm Wife came across a little old lady laid in our street on the way to work this morning... Unconscious not breathing..

Someone had already called her an ambulance and it's going to be 40 minutes........ Guessing they described it as a old lady has fallen and not done a decent primary survey and not recognised the lack of breathing

Well the wife rung explained she was on the chest compressions

By the time the ambulance arrived (less than 5 minutes) she had got her back breathing and semi conscious.... In the recovery position wrapped up to keep her warm
Well done her! Training is worth more than gold, and a skill you’ll never regret learning. Mine is up at the end of the year, and it will be my priority.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I'm department first aider at work. Also been doing courses since I was 13.its a skill everyone should have
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

She was telling me she got a call handler from the follow the script on the computer ..... Has the patient got any covid symptoms.... Don't know her .... Has the patent had a cough .... Don't know I don't know her .... That's not what I asked the patient got a cough yes or no.... :roll:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm She was telling me she got a call handler from the follow the script on the computer ..... Has the patient got any covid symptoms.... Don't know her .... Has the patent had a cough .... Don't know I don't know her .... That's not what I asked the patient got a cough yes or no.... :roll:
That's life threatening :( thank goodness she had you to call on, Andy.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm She was telling me she got a call handler from the follow the script on the computer ..... Has the patient got any covid symptoms.... Don't know her .... Has the patent had a cough .... Don't know I don't know her .... That's not what I asked the patient got a cough yes or no.... :roll:

It wasn't me it was the wife :)

I've had a Barney with ambulance control in the past I know what they are like ... Best one was a casualty I came across unconscious.. I got grilled ... To the point she tried to chastise me like a school child so I just "did as I was told"... To the point when the patient regained consciousness I didn't tell her. .. it's only when I started talking to him she asked who was I talking to.. "you didn't tell me he'd regained consciousness".. you never asked ...

Unlike fire service control who must be actually trained to listen :tinfoil never had a issue phoning them..... They listen 👂 .. came across a car crash 2 weeks ago phone call done and dusted in 60 seconds " single car crash on any road any town, by the bridge one person still in the car air bags deployed it's smoking from the engine bay" and that was about it once she had read back the address

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 am
Arzosah wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm

It wasn't me it was the wife :)

I've had a Barney with ambulance control in the past I know what they are like ... Best one was a casualty I came across unconscious.. I got grilled ... To the point she tried to chastise me like a school child so I just "did as I was told"... To the point when the patient regained consciousness I didn't tell her. .. it's only when I started talking to him she asked who was I talking to.. "you didn't tell me he'd regained consciousness".. you never asked ...

Unlike fire service control who must be actually trained to listen :tinfoil never had a issue phoning them..... They listen 👂 .. came across a car crash 2 weeks ago phone call done and dusted in 60 seconds " single car crash on any road any town, by the bridge one person still in the car air bags deployed it's smoking from the engine bay" and that was about it once she had read back the address
Lot of accidents round you!

I understood it was your wife who was directly involved, honest :mrgreen: I meant, thank goodness she could call on you, instead of relying on the jobsworth reading from a questionnaire. I remember one of them from the original swine flu thingy, I phoned up because I had symptoms. "Are you unconscious?" Grrrr!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:56 pm [. I remember one of them from the original swine flu thingy, I phoned up because I had symptoms. "Are you unconscious?" Grrrr!

It must be a standard cover their arse script written by solicitors ... Had similar a few years back on 111 with a really bad sore throat.... Have you got any heavy bleeding... :tinfoil wonder what would happen if you said yes :? "I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my sore throat was caused by me slipping with a circular saw" (if you remember the old Strepsil adverts :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm Had similar a few years back on 111 with a really bad sore throat.... Have you got any heavy bleeding... :tinfoil wonder what would happen if you said yes :? "I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my sore throat was caused by me slipping with a circular saw" (if you remember the old Strepsil adverts :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: