Antihistamine alternatives

Medical and Healthcare
Oakelm

Re: Antihistamine alternatives

Post by Oakelm »

Bosworth wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm Would it be controversial to say to just buy a shed-load? Zyrtec and equivalents are cheap as chips and very available - amazon have bull packs that can be delivered next day.

Easier option?
That’s my just in case at least enough to last a few years, if the OH can not mess up my system again lol. But like cbp125 it does get grating to have to be slightly drugged up all the time. It will be my fall back option but if I can retrain my body or just use something natural I could grow or forage then saves a few quid and prepares for the longer term if drug manufacturers are truly gone.

I see the note on a neti pot as well in the other comments, tried it, found it awkward and didn’t seem to do it for me.
Starfury

Post by Starfury »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:46 am My mrs suffers very badly with hayfever, I get it too, but only from the tree pollen so it doesn't last that long.

She has a spoonful of local honey every morning, that means she only has to take 1 antihistamine rather than multiple ones, can't be 100% sure it does anything as we haven't done a double blind test or anything, but she says it helps.
I will have to try using some local honey once we are free to leave the hose once more, never been a fan of taken tablets at the best of times.

Unfortunately I forgot to restock my hay fever tablets from last summer so suffering at the moment but thankfully amazon have some, one more thing to add to the list I need to keep in stock
Once a sapper always a sapper
jimmythejoker123

Post by jimmythejoker123 »

Some great ideas in this thread, especially the local honey one. Love that!

Another thing to remember is that a fair few other products contain antihistamines but aren't marketed as them. For example, the sleeping tablet Nytol contains diphenhydramine, which is a popular antihistamine. So even if you can't get your hands on the actual products, shopping around for the active ingredient in them can often help.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I don't really suffer....
But.....
there is a guy from Kent, who is the editor of one of the Bushcraft magazines.
He once told me that he makes his own natural antihistamine replacement/treatment.
Maybe the bushcrafty people have an answer?
ain't settlin'
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jimmythejoker123 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 am For example, the sleeping tablet Nytol contains diphenhydramine, which is a popular antihistamine.
I use Morrison's own brand 'Nytol' as an antihistamine. It's the only one that works for me but knocks me out solid.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

For restocking you could try an online chemist. I have used this one.

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/ce ... -five-pack

My big herbal suggests nettle tea taken daily for at least 3 months as the preferred herbal option. Other herbs are listed as secondary choices include plantain, eyebright, goldenrod, boneset, echinacea, marshmallow and elderflower.
I may try this next year as I always suffer April to July from grass and wheat pollens.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Local honeycomb and propolis can be helpful, too. For your eyes, chamomile tea and witch hazel washes or compresses. Eat lots of garlic before the onset of hay fever season to inhibit inflammation.