Mental Health.

Medical and Healthcare
Mad Scientist

Re: Mental Health.

Post by Mad Scientist »

A few years ago I was burned out and had complex PTSD from work. I took a year out, enjoyed more time with my family, joined a choir, started pet-sitting and just chilled. I learned to stop feeling guilty that I wasn’t running around after everybody else and deserve time for MY stuff. Now I’ve got a part time job, far nicer people. It’s just get to work, up tools, do job, down tools, go home. I’m still on a healing journey but I learned the hard way not to work hard for people who aren’t worth it. If your body and mind are complaining just stop and walk away. So glad to hear it’s worked out for you folks too. You only get one life. Nobody ever had a gravestone engraved with “I wish I’d spent more time at the office”. ( or whatever).
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

No job is worth driving yourself to an early grave for. I had to stop the job I loved because of health issues and felt absolutely lost. I was lucky, my wife is a senior mental health nurse and she let me mope about the house feeling sorry for myself before she stepped in and helped me focus and gave me support.

My days are full again, we are actively involved with our grandchildren, ham radio, the garden, cooking, catching up on twenty years of reading and now travel overseas is allowed et al...I'm not working but I'm busy and life once again is good.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Some great advice on here, good to hear your stories, thank you for posting ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well, I started this thread three years ago. Re- reading the comments, it makes me realise just how many people have mental health issues. It’s serious, and we have to talk about it, as a society.
Quick update, Re: original post. I am still in the same job, and still the senior tradesman in my department. I get ‘pressure’, but not stress, if that makes sense? Sadly, we are losing staff at a rate of knots at the moment, simply because managers mess with their heads. In a word, stress. I told the manager, “You don’t get it do you?, you never learn”. And they don’t.
Personally, my wife’s cancer ( and treatment)over the last two years has been a game changer. That was stressful at another level. Also, I told management at that time, “ don’t hinder me when I am dealing with hospitals and visits, or I walk. “ And so it was. Now we value ‘proper ‘ life over work. If the gaffer wants overtime, or me to work a holiday, it’s a big £uck off from me! I turn up 1 minute to start, and click out bang on finish. Too many years I’ve’been helpful’ and they take the rise.

Anyhow. For any of our members struggling with mental health issues; please do something about it.If you recognise a problem, please, please talk to someone at the very least. Best wishes to you all.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Lifelong bipolar sufferer here. Not much to report as I’ve learnt to manage how to get by. Useful in that I understand how to support other people’s poor mental health. BTW, I recommend taking the mental health first aid training as well as first aid.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

hobo wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:48 pm Lifelong bipolar sufferer here. Not much to report as I’ve learnt to manage how to get by. Useful in that I understand how to support other people’s poor mental health. BTW, I recommend taking the mental health first aid training as well as first aid.
+1 on mental health first aid training. Very enlightening, even for my own anxiety and depression, which thankfully a fairly low dose of brain drugs keeps on the straight and narrow for the most part.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Could I say one thing that might be un-PC? Huge respect for any of you battling with real mental health issues - my own mum had a major breakdown when she hit her 40s and was never the same again. I know how awful it is and how it affects the whole family. BUT it really gets up my nose when I see all these silly wee lassies posing like cod with the trout pout and eyebrows thing - going on about how lockdown/the virus/mask wearing/whatever "has seriously affected my mental health".
No it hasn't hen, yer just no happy and inna bad mood -go and do something useful and get over it! That is not mental health issues! :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:23 pm Could I say one thing that might be un-PC? Huge respect for any of you battling with real mental health issues - my own mum had a major breakdown when she hit her 40s and was never the same again. I know how awful it is and how it affects the whole family. BUT it really gets up my nose when I see all these silly wee lassies posing like cod with the trout pout and eyebrows thing - going on about how lockdown/the virus/mask wearing/whatever "has seriously affected my mental health".
No it hasn't hen, yer just no happy and inna bad mood -go and do something useful and get over it! That is not mental health issues! :evil:

We did have a running joke that the 18 year old had been preparing for this for years the hours he spent on his room chatting to his mates on line all night long not much changed ... Although his recently acquired freedom and discovery of the local night clubs meant he fell in the front door at about 4am this morning :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:23 pm Could I say one thing that might be un-PC? Huge respect for any of you battling with real mental health issues - my own mum had a major breakdown when she hit her 40s and was never the same again. I know how awful it is and how it affects the whole family. BUT it really gets up my nose when I see all these silly wee lassies posing like cod with the trout pout and eyebrows thing - going on about how lockdown/the virus/mask wearing/whatever "has seriously affected my mental health".
I know where you're coming from with that. My own bugbear with that is that people aren't saying "I feel terrible", they're using this code instead, talking about 3rd person mental health. It might be a "fashion" that got started with the CBT counsellors, but it's very distancing (and not in a good way!).
/endcounsellingrant
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:06 pm We did have a running joke that the 18 year old had been preparing for this for years the hours he spent on his room chatting to his mates on line all night long not much changed ... Although his recently acquired freedom and discovery of the local night clubs meant he fell in the front door at about 4am this morning :tinfoil
That's so sweet :lol: he'd hate to think so, of course, but it is :lol: as long as he walked home.