Strength and fitness

Medical and Healthcare
nickdutch

Re: Strength and fitness

Post by nickdutch »

I was dong a fair bit in the hope of getting fit, but in doing my exercises I seemed to break open an old fracture and haven't done much for ages. So I am down to walking and the occasional cycle ride.
To add injury to injury, through typing aggressively for my work i seemed to have damaged my little finger on my left hand making all manner of daily tasks a pain.
Health and fitness seems to be something that's much easier to do when you are already healthy and fit......
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Last edited by MissAnpassad on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MissAnpassad wrote:
Deeps wrote:
While I see the bugging out thing as a last choice option Mrs Deeps would be pretty useless as any kind of 'pack animal', Her Maj isn't particularly stoic or strong, I'm the pack beast in our wee posse. Like yourself I'd have to carefully choose what I was taking if we were leaving Casa Deeps.
There is a solution to Mrs Deeps lack of strength, and that is to let her pull the items in a small wagon instead attacked to a belt on her hips. What i mean but with a sled instead: http://segebadenpulkan.se/shop/30993/ar ... 2efd80.jpg
If she likes this idea, she should buy a belt with "buttstraps" (don't know the correct english term), otherwise it will start to move upwards as she walks. Like this one: http://segebadenpulkan.se/sv/produkter/ ... -line.html
She's not exactly fully onboard with the whole prepping thing, she's getting there but lifting and shifting isn't really her thing. Thanks for the links though, 'buttstraps' might have different connotations over here. :o :lol:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Have lifted weights from the age of 15, on and off to start with, but regularly for the last 20 years, was very serious about it at one time, but my fondness for bacon butties and beer means I am more Geoff Capes than Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

Add to that my hatred of cardio and diagnoses of Diabetes T2 a while back mean I am not very fit at all..........

But am trying to walk more to get a bit fitter.......

ATB Jase :D
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Last edited by MissAnpassad on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Walk the dog a few miles every day and go hiking on weekends in the warmer months. Go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week year round, mix of metcon and heavy weights. 6" 5', within my BMI, with less then 10% bodyfat. I find the gym relaxing and don't own a TV.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bosworth wrote:I think I'd describe myself as 'robust but chunky'.

I often wonder if being on the slightly portly side would help in a genuine emergency involving food shortages. Certainly, my personal fuel tank would keep me going for quite a bit longer than others'...
People quite often confuse 'Ripped' with Fit, not the same thing at all.(Fueltank owner also ;) )

I'm 5'10" and 16 stone 7lbs (this puts me at 33 :cry: )
However, I'm not sedentary. I walk a lot, my daily commute is a mile to the station (covered in 11 to 14 minutes) and then 1/2 mile to work. Carrying stuff around at work (25kg bags mostly) then the same trip back. I'm also a folk-dancer and practice weekly as well as dance-outs, not to mention Smithing etc.
As a result, I tend to tend to leave my younger 'Healthy range' friends in the dust :lol:

Never been to a gym, why would I want to sweat with strangers ? :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

I'm on my feet all day carrying trays of science equipment and keeping an eye on several teachers and a few hundred children in science classes. Dance class on Monday evenings, archery on Wednesday evenings and Saturday morning. Swimming on Sunday evening and chores in between. I'm 4'10 tall so my little feets are tired but I've never been overweight. Did a 30 mile sponsored walk with some fine people 2 years ago. Can't run for toffee, though.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Bosworth wrote:I think I'd describe myself as 'robust but chunky'.

I often wonder if being on the slightly portly side would help in a genuine emergency involving food shortages. Certainly, my personal fuel tank would keep me going for quite a bit longer than others'...
People quite often confuse 'Ripped' with Fit, not the same thing at all.(Fueltank owner also ;) )

I'm 5'10" and 16 stone 7lbs (this puts me at 33 :cry: )
However, I'm not sedentary. I walk a lot, my daily commute is a mile to the station (covered in 11 to 14 minutes) and then 1/2 mile to work. Carrying stuff around at work (25kg bags mostly) then the same trip back. I'm also a folk-dancer and practice weekly as well as dance-outs, not to mention Smithing etc.
As a result, I tend to tend to leave my younger 'Healthy range' friends in the dust :lol:

Never been to a gym, why would I want to sweat with strangers ? :lol:
The ripped thing is very much an affectation, I joined back up at 28 and there were a couple of young 'buff' lads who I out ran and out 'lifted', they were well pissed off. :lol:
They did pull more than me though. :(

Being 'ripped' does show that you work out and are fit, if you're seriously ripped then the intimidation factor might have some value but feeding that physique might be difficult in a SHTF situation, as usual, it would be better to start off fit than unfit though. Personally I take my hat off to anyone who's got anything close to a six pack, even at my prime I was nowhere near it, I'm way to 'doughy'. I've never been very 'veiny' either, even when I was (with hindsight) very large and in great shape. All ancient history now. :cry:
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

Never had or wanted a "six pack". in my working life doing heavy manual work outside in all weathers, and that’s in the Scottish Highlands. I have never met anyone that is "GYM" fit that has the stamina to do a days graft. I'm not criticisingly the office worker that has a dinner time jog or whatever, but digging a 6mtr trench, 1mtr deep by hand needs something more than show off muscles.

To survive in a SHTF situation I'd rather be in the company of a over weight crofter who's used to hard graft, than a gym toned athlete.

knowledge as well as muscles is required, the ability to pace the work and the ability to keep going. those skills are not taught in the gym, they are learned by doing.